Concrete pour - temperature concerns

Hi Guys:

I have all my forms and reinforcing materials in place for a garage floor and a shed foundation. Now I just need to find someone to do the place and finish. I am having trouble here. I can't see wanting to have a go at this myself for the $500 it would save, but if I can't find anyone to do it for me ...

Anyhow the temperatures around here these days are about 45 F daytime high and 25 night time low. This varies alot as it doesn't freeze every night. At what point am I beat for this year? I don't think I want to leave everything as is until the spring as things will probably move over the winter. I suppose I could buy some straw and insulate after the pour, but that is more trouble for me and I am allergic to it?

Any advice on my hoped for late season pour?

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Mau

Concrete generates its own heat, as it cures.

I've seen pours this time of year that were covered in sheet plastic, and a layer of straw, to cover it for a day or two.

Reply to
John Hines

25 F is fairly low temperatures even for a pour with antifreeze in it. I think you're probably looking at heating the garage for a fortnight, if you really want this done now.
Reply to
default

Concrete is poured throughout winter in Canada, we get some bad winters.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Here's the FAQ from the Portland Cement Association:

See item 10.

-- Tom

Reply to
TOM

Hello again:

Thanks for the comments guys. I found out why I can't get anyone to do this job any time soon: Hunting season starts Monday. I am new to rural living but apparently regular life shuts down for 2 weeks. Looks like I have 2 or 3 weeks to find some straw to insulate after the pour.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Mau