Concrete Patio

I have a concrete patio that has a few cracks (minor) in it, plus some rust stains.

Is there anything I can do to cover this up to enhance it? I am thinking pavers, or some decorative rock, and not carpet or painting over it. Also, hopefully, there is something I can do myself, rather than hiring it done.

Thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

You could do pavers or rock but it isn't real easy. Well, it is easy to do but is hard work. You would have to work out some sort of edge restraint, but down about an inch of bedding sand, lay the pavers, compact the pavers and then sweep sand into the joints.

- OR -

You could get a bottle of CLR or other mild acid to remove the rust stains and live with the minor cracking.

- ALSO -

Don't even think about putting a layer of colored, stamped concrete over what you have now.

Reply to
dadiOH

???

Why do you need a foundation of sand, etc., if laying pavers over CONCRETE? Isn't that much like putting down (ceramic) tile in the kitchen?

I'm thinking Sausalito(?) tile or similar.

Reply to
HeyBub

Think of tiling over an irregularly flat surface, and you will have your answer. It will follow all the whoop de doos on the surface.

I'm thinking clean it up with CLR or whatever, power wash, and paint. PourStone in the cracks after they have the dirt blasted out of them. Paint over PourStone doesn't really look all that bad.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Just saw this on Yard Crashers yesterday. They used some process (sorry I didn't get the name) where you mix epoxy goo, spread it, and then put some small, slightly larger than pea sized rocks in the epoxy. They said you do one bucket at a time because of the cure time. It looked really nice when finished.

Reply to
Art Todesco

They call that river rock here and it looks great when it is new but after a few years you are back there putting more epoxy on it. After a while you are cussing and ripping it out. It was all the rage 20 years ago and I don't know a single person who did it then who still has it.

Reply to
gfretwell

epoxystone

i had it in my last house. the epoxy breaks down in the sun, and you have to (expensively) recoat it with fresh epoxy every few years. it is also HOT on bare feet if it gets direct sun, but is a lot cooler than bare concrete around a pool.

Reply to
chaniarts

Exactly

Reply to
dadiOH

Saltillo? Not really meant for outside, has to be set in mortar, will crack with the slab.

Reply to
dadiOH

Concrete isn't repairable.

Putting something on top will probably come with issues.

I can tell you what I did:

  1. Rent electric air hammer, break cement into pieces.
  2. Call carting company and have rubble removed.
  3. Dig to required depth and lay rock dust and sand.
  4. Pack with rented vibrating compactor.
  5. Lay pavers on top.

Lots of little details like edging, getting the right run off, etc. But assuming you don't want a hack job...

Reply to
Dan Espen

Kate, you can glue brick to it with plastic roof cement and then broom sand into all the joints. This will make a very serviceable surface.

There are many toppings designed for concrete. They will require a good clean surface. Here is plenty of information from one of the best in the business:

sure to look through their gallery. Stain may provide the look you seek, but there are certainly overlays which give an entirely new surface.

Reply to
DanG