Concrete pad for post light?

The wires for a post light were buried as part of another job but I can't seem to find the light I want & it isn't a big priority right now. [Today I might like light 'A', but tomorrow I fall in love with light 'b' -- then SWMBO comes home & tells about light 'C']
I'd like to pour a pad & at least tidy up the wires for now. I was at Lowe's this afternoon & didn't see anything that looked like a standard. The lad who was working there seemed to have about 1/2 a clue & he said most folks just bury the post in redi-mix -- but that if I wanted a pad it should be 2 feet square & 4" thick.
Any thoughts pro or con on the cemented in post vs. mounting on a slab?
I'm in NY so frost heave is a concern. I'm thinking that a 4-6" slab might be easier to re-level if it becomes necessary--- but then I look at all the fence posts I've set in concrete around here over the last 20 years and they all seem to be pretty plumb still.
I direct buried the wires, but I'll put them in a conduit sweep el through the concrete. I'm guessing that both ends of the conduit should be plugged with plumbers putty?
Any tips appreciated- thanks, Jim
Street lights and parking lot lights are done this way all the time.
The pole bases are typically 24 " in diameter and 6 to 10 feet deep depending on the height of the pole. The poles must have a wind rated base plate to mount to the j bolts buried in the pole base. Different brands have different base plate bolt patterns. Usually want to know which pole is coming to arrange bolt length and diameter.

Most lights fit on 3" poles. Manufacturers make surface mount fittings for these 3" poles. You often buy the poles separate from the lights, unless it is a multihead decorative type. If you go with the 3" round poles, just buy the base fitting and set your bolts to match. If you want the fancy cast poles, then you must choose first.
By the way, in frost areas you don't want a pad, you need to set a Sonotube down below your frost line, thread conduit up through to the top center, and fill with concrete. Fit long bolts or threaded rod onto a piece of plywood to keep the positioning accurate and press it into the wet concrete until it is set.

6 to 10 FEET deep ?? Are you sure ??
--james-
The pole bases are typically 24 " in diameter and 6 to 10 feet deep depending on the height of the pole. The poles must have a wind rated base plate to mount to the j bolts buried in the pole base. Different brands have different base plate bolt patterns. Usually want to know which pole is coming to arrange bolt length and diameter.
I am absolutely certain.
You obviously don't believe me. Go here: http://www.ku.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/fmkuhtml/detail_library?file=2
scroll down to any of the site light details. You may need to download an AutoCAD viewer to see the details.