Concrete overlay question

Hi everyone! We would like to have polished, stained concrete floors in some rooms where we formerly had carpet. We removed the carpet but still have some remnants of the adhesive that held down the underlay. Can we put our 1/4" concrete overlay over the adhesive, or do we need to find some type of chemical to remove it?
-------------------------------------
Truetilbeth wrote:

you will probably have to not only remove the adhesive, but perhaps grind and/or polish the surface. the adhesive will prevent the color from penetrating, leaving it blotchy.
1/4" cement would crack in short period of time and will start to come up even if you do all cleaning as suggested. You would need put down I would say minimum 3" and have it dry very very slowly and that is question if it will crack or not. You need to consult real experts on that

Truetilbeth had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Concrete-overlay-question-418270-.htm :
Grumpy wrote:

-------------------------------------
You don't think that a 1/4" skimcoat over an already sold, level concrete floor will hold? Everyone we've talked to has said that it would be a waste of time and money to remove the existing underlay and re-pour the floors.
Grumpy wrote:

-------------------------------------
You don't think that a 1/4" skimcoat over an already sold, level concrete floor will hold? Everyone we've talked to has said that it would be a waste of time and money to remove the existing underlay and re-pour the floors.

Have you even TALKED to the contractor who will be doing the work ??? HE will tell you what needs to be done or tell you he will do the PROPER prep to ensure the finished floor is right since he is the one who has to stand by it..JMHO....
Truetilbeth had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Concrete-overlay-question-418267-.htm :
benick wrote:

We are doing the work ourselves, which is why I wanted to ask the community for advice.
-------------------------------------
I advise you to stop using the Sucko company.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Truetilbeth wrote:

1/4" isn't concrete, it is thinset. Or mortar. Concrete has aggregate, aggregate is what makes concrete strong and 1/4" is way too little for useful aggregate.
What is the floor now?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Right now, it's the concrete underlayment that is throughout the house. We just wanted to do a skimcoat over the top before we stain and polish it, so that it will look consistent. The material we bought is by Quikrete, and it's called Concrete Skimcoat, but you're right, it doesn't contain aggregate or ask us to add any when we mix it.
Truetilbeth wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Concrete-overlay-question-418405-.htm
Skimcoat or Resurfacer? No matter, I have no experience with it whatever it is called and no idea if it would be suitable for what you want to do.
My best suggestion is to hire a pro.
--

dadiOH