Concrete mixer, how to get a good mix?

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its dry or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually. Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:16:03 -0700, "** Frank **"

Can I suggest a little more water? Not to much, but just enough :)
-- Oren

I prefer to start with the suggested amount of water, then add the mix until it gets "right". You have to have enough cement, though, in case you put too much water in to start. Just read the directions, and start with that amount of water.
Steve
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:49:37 -0700, "Steve B"

As a young boy; using a wheel barrow and shovel. Dried material first, then water and yes have extra/plenty of cement.
Grand Dad was building a grease trap/cement to bury in the ground. I got to work the shovel :)
-- Oren
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:16:03 -0700, "** Frank **"

If you're using premix I sympathize.
If you're mixing your own- Gravel first- then the cement. . . then I add the water. . .when it's wet I add the sand. After the first couple batches I rarely need to adjust wetness-- but I keep my sand and gravel piles covered so they're dry.
[I use a 1-2-3 mix for most everything- or, I suppose, most often in my mixer, speaking in gallons, and in the correct order; 6-2-4]
Jim