Concrete labor costs in your area

What does it cost in your area to have a concrete crew come in and form, pour and finish concrete for a slab for a shop? I'd pay for the concrete, and rebar. Just a per square foot price for the labor?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Funny timing. I just got quoted today for a 17' x 25' x 6" seven bag mix pad with rebar in front of my main shipping door. They are also going to grade the area of the parking lot to the street 100'x100' and place 30 ton of stone. The pad will have a steel grated trench drain in front of the door tied into a basin. The parking lot in that area is 2' higher than the shop floor and we have had water in the shop. They will also take care of the 18" foundation of an old out building in the way. All this for $5,300! I thought it would be twice that.

That doesn't answer your question...I'm just thrilled with the job getting done.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's really funny. I've been getting ready to get some bids for the front of my shop. It will be just like yours except for the drain. Right down to the old foundation in the way and sloping the grade. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Today I find out our big forklift threw a rod, see my glote post. With a new forklift, a pad and a level lot...loading trucks won't be such a PIA! ANOTHER problem permanently solved, only a few thousand more to go.

Good luck with your job!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There's no reason why a standard 2x4 form won't work for a residential driveway. Don't be like the klutz who poured the back patio in one of my houses 8" thick. It took me days to jackhammer that out when I went to build a deck and I ended up building around part of it.

Everything matters. You need to start with a good compressed base made with the right material to allow drainage, prevent frost heave and not settle. You need to have a proper mix. That means the right agregate material and the right amount of cement. You need the pour done at the right temp and before the mix goes off. Finially, you need enough "cream" with the finishing so you don't get spalling.

Even then, I probably missed a few things...

Reply to
Rick Blaine

........... where's gpsman when we need him ................

Reply to
Steve B

Ralph Henrichs wrote in article ...

In a similar vein......

A friend of mine was building a new shop for his race car, and he had the surveyor lay out a perfectly level floor on which to set the race car up.

He had the slab contractor come in and told him that everything was set the way he wanted it to be, and to just pour the slab.

When he got home from work, there was his beautiful new slab.

The contractor said everything was going along fine until he discovered that the surveyor had, apparently by mistake, NOT included a slight slope for drainage.

"You'll be happy to know I caught it in time, and took care of it for you." he boasted.

Reply to
*

I got 1800 sq.ft. with 30" wide footers, a stemwall, 5" slab, digging, mesh, rebar, forming, labor, compaction (not counting the fill, itself), for $11,200 here in boomtown, FL.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yesterday, I found out my forklift has a blown head gasket and a bad water pump. I guess I'll be getting that fixed before worrying about my pad of concrete. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I put in a concrete driveway and back yard patio/hot tub slab 2 years ago. The soil/gravel mixture around the home was put in place while the house was being built. It was partially compacted by "time" (12 months/4 seasons) and by various machinery driving on same. Immediately adjacent to the home(~4'out from foundation) the soil was compacted in 2 ft lifts. For the remainder of the 30' one side/65' other side (a 90 o curved driveway) I added about 4" of what they call "roadbase" around here (1" minus gravel/sand mixture). I formed up 4" high 3/8" ply strips, double layered/screwed to 3/4" on pegs making the top of the 'form' 5" above grade. I rented a vibrating plate compactor and pummeled the roadbase (it was conveniently raining at the time). After that, I ran 3/8" rebar on 2' centers throughout. I'd called a concrete crew that worked on the house next door to placxe the concrete. They arrived at 6AM (while we stared at a dark gray cloudy sky..Will it Rain ??) We decided to go ahead..the concrete trucks (2) arrived and they laid about 6 yards of 3000# concrete (IIRC) They put control joints at about 6' centers and did a "light broom" finish.

Following that, we took another load behind the house with a concrete line pump and did a 250 sf slab with 3/8" and 1/2" rebar (under the hot tub area) and they finished it the same way.

My cost..a lot of physical WORK..about $ 400.00 in rebar, $ 300 for the line pump and another $ 100 for forms, $ 150 for the gravel ..40 bucks for the compactor, 10 bucks in rebar ties = $ 1000.00 The crete was about $ 1000.00 My cost for the concrete crew 45 cents a square foot.. Yes $ 0.45

They (3 of them, one left after 2 hrs) were here for about 3-4 hours and he took $ 500 cash for the 1100 sf job.

So, I was quoted $ 5000 for the whole job by two different contractors. My cost was $ 2500.00 with a lot of PREP work.

The good news: after 2 years of 4 seasons: HIGH 104 o to Low -10o.. No cracks at all. About half of the control joints have done their job.

You can get it at a reasonable cost if YOU do the prep work. If not, be prepared to pay double for "Them" to do it.

Good luck

Rudy