Concrete Floor Questions

I've ripped up all the carpet, padding and tack strips in a room that has a concrete floor. Now I want to paint the floor somehow.

Should I paint and then seal the concrete? Or should I seal the concrete before I paint?

Is there some sort of primer that will keep any stains from coming through? Or is that what the sealer's for?

Do I use floor paint, or should I use concrete paint?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

(Holes will be patched with an appropriate product before any painting is done.)

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Is this floor above or below grade? Is there any existing or past moisture problem?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Depends on if you intend to recover with something again and just want to seal the concrete or want the painted floor to show. If the latter you could do a concrete stain a seal or use an epoxy paint. Either will give good wear. Another is to acid stain and seal, This can give a textured look like stone if done well.

Reply to
MC

-> Suzie-Q wrote:

-> > I've ripped up all the carpet, padding and tack strips in a room

-> > that has a concrete floor. Now I want to paint the floor somehow.

-> Is this floor above or below grade?

How do I tell?

-> Is there any existing or past moisture problem?

No moisture problems.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

-> Depends on if you intend to recover with something again and just want to

-> seal the concrete or want the painted floor to show. If the latter you could

-> do a concrete stain a seal or use an epoxy paint. Either will give good

-> wear. Another is to acid stain and seal, This can give a textured look like

-> stone if done well.

I want the paint to show through. I'll put an area rug in the center of the room. The paint will show around the edges.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Read MC's answer.

Epoxy if you are going to paint. I would discourage any other type of floor paint.

Concrete acid based stain for stunning effect.

DanG

I suggest a good real epoxy type garage floor paint. That stuff is really durable and will not need any kind of sealer or additional layer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan