Concrete damage-Why?

In the backyard of a friends house, the concrete is disintegrating a little , on the top. It's in Reno, there has been some snow and below freezing wea ther in the past month. They've only lived there 2 years, the concrete was fine last year. They don't shovel the snow off this, but I don't think that 's needed.
Any idea why the surface of concrete would get damaged? And what a person could do about it? So it doesn't get worse?
Here are 2 pictures:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/photo_1776_bucket/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/photo_1776_bucket/IMG_1108.jpg
Thank you, Bill

That can happen in real hot weather too. Spalling is a separation of the top layer from the base material and it is a curing problem most of the time. You need to cover the concrete and keep it wet for up to a week if you want to avoid this. If the surface "dries" before it "cures" there will be a layer that is just waiting for some small trauma to spall it off.

+1 Can't just plop it down and walk away...
I didn't look at the pix but I wonder if a leveling agent would work?
--
Tekkie