concrete damage repair

There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)
couple of pics
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG
Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this? How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product afterwards?
Thanks in advance..
jj3000 wrote:

That stuff is likely older than you are, maybe older than I am. My guess it's condition is a matter of old age, poor sub base, maybe a too thin or poor mix. It really needs to be replaced, not patched. It is really not solid enough to patch and expect the patches to hold up.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

you get freezing weather where you are? Cheap slab, no rebar or fabric, not enough gravel and drainage underneath, water gets under it, and sproing. Do you notice the chunks moving around (up and down) over the course of the year? No patch is gonna stick to old dirty concrete, especially if it is still moving.
Proper repair is demo and replace. Not that expensive, if there is easy access to get a truck to it. An air-powered jack hammer would make short work of it. If it bothers you, and if your budget allows, I'd get a couple estimates from local flatwork companies. If budget doesn't allow, and it bothers you enough, get a DIY book on concrete forming and finishing, and a pickax, and start in. Whatever you put in to replace, make sure the water drains away from the structure (garage, I assume), and that no wood ends up sitting in a hole.
aem sends...

agreed, looks like poor workmanship when originally done.
Before an ATTEMPT of a repair is done your going to have to get rid of the green growing stuff. Which tends to make me think that there is ponding water on this concrete. Any ATTEMPT of coating/covering the area will result in raising the grade so that water can now go into the home on both sides.
If your staying in the home replace it. If your not wash it with a power washer.
On 12 Mar 2005 00:10:33 -0800, jeremy snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (jj3000) wrote:

I don't think you'll find anything that will make a decent long lasting repair on that short of putting a 4 to 5 inch thick fiber concrete overlay on it. Is keeping it concrete a must? If you are mostly trying to have it look better you might consider just putting a thin redwood "deck" on it.