Concrete Counters - integrated sink

I am making concrete counters for a bar. I am thinking of integrating a sink in the counter out the same concrete to have one continous surface. Anyone have any luck with this? I am wondering how it holds up with the water usage. Obviously, it would need to be sealed.

I was thinking of using a tuperware container as the mold for my sink (visible side) and then building a box for the underside out of melamine mdf. The other option I was considering was using pieces of the tube they sell to make posts with concrete. I am looking for a round sink around 12" or rectangular of 14x8 or somewhere around there.

Reply to
MC

I don't have a clue. Just got my new Lee Valley catalog though, and theyhave a book on concrete counter tops. May be worth checking out. You can find information at

In the catalog in is in the "late additions" section.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've formed fountains from concrete in a similar manner, and it works just fine. You might have better luck with an undermount sink, there are many that fit your size range available. Common in granite/stone countertops, it would have a finished concrete edge and a copper/steel/ceramic/whatever bowl.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

I have the "famous" booke, but it shows a couple of pics and doesn't really give details on integrated sinks. I am going to give it a try. Will post results. I think the look of one continous surface of one material is attractive. Practical-- I don't k now.

Reply to
MC

A stainless steel undermount was my other option. I think having the whole counter including the sink in concrete though would look good.

Since this is a bar sink and won't have pots and pans banging it and water contantly running, I am thinking it will probably hold up okay.

Reply to
MC