Concrete and Visqueen

I live in South Louisiana where it is very humid. I intend to pour a slab of concrete 20' x 24' for a shop that I might eventually have air conditioned.

Should I apply a layer of plastic under the poured concrete to avoid sweating of the floor ??

Please advise, Ray

Reply to
Ray & Nina

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Some people in this modern world seem to think everything in the world needs to be sealed in plastic. What about the natural moisture in concrete, how is it supposed to escape? Concrete needs to breathe. All you will be doing is sealing all the moisture into the concrete and if it freezes in winter, it will cause the surface to freeze and flake off.

By the way, Visqueen the queen of the Vis people? Who's the king?

Reply to
Ron

Ray, BE SURE you put plastic underneath your slab!

Gary

Reply to
GARY

look into 6" crushed stone under slab and vapor barrier as a capillary break. Stone will not allow ground water to rise against the bottom of the slab

1) Hot mopped tar paper, usually 2 layers. 2) Heavy mil polyethylene sheeting , see:
for an example.

Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G

(remove the 7)

Reply to