Conclusion -- Cable 1, Verizon 0

Got Time Warner internet installed today and has old phone number ported to new service. After one day, so far so good. Will see how it goes month after month. Here's the high/low lights....
Last check with Verizon was going good with a new modem, it was 500K download and 1.2M upload. (Yes, that's what it was -- not the other way around as I would have expected.) DSL and no-frills phone was $115/month including taxes, fees, etc.
Now with TWC, upload is 1M and download is 2M. Internet and phone is $37/month including taxes, etc.
All the calls to Verizon when phone was out over the past 2 months added $140 to my regular AT&T cell phone bill, but AT&T ended up applying a credit for most of that for being a 10+ year customer -- and for my good looks, of course. AT&T has been a first rate cell phone company and affordable - $50/month for 450 anytime minutes for 2 phones. Just don't go over that limit or it's 45-cents a minute (if you're not good looking like me. ;O)
Last email to Verizon was a demand for $800+ to cover all the outages and extra costs. I already got $200 credit, but even $800 is a drop in the bucket toward what the real cost was to me in lost time and business.
Will keep you guys posted.
Sasquatch JonesRalph West wrote:

How could you stream movie or real time HD media stuff with 2/1 speed? Up here I have two phones with separate numbers one for voice, one for fax with distinctive ring, all available TV channels, and 50/3 Internet with no limit. Costs 195.00 CAD/month. Even DSL hook up from Telus works at higher speed than 2/1 with TV and phone service. Mobile phone is with Telus GSM smart phones. Pay as you go, costs ~10.00CAD.
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 8:17:18 PM UTC-5, Sasquatch JonesRalph Wes t wrote:

after month. Here's the high/low lights....

as I would have expected.) DSL and no-frills phone was $115/month includi ng taxes, fees, etc.
So the previous problem with the 35kb download speed was apparently the modem?

Is that special pricing for the first year? If not, it's a very good deal. More typical it's at least that for just phone or internet each.

t for most of that for being a 10+ year customer -- and for my good looks, of course. AT&T has been a first rate cell phone company and affordable - $50/month for 450 anytime minutes for 2 phones. Just don't go over that li mit or it's 45-cents a minute (if you're not good looking like me. ;O)

ATT must have better cell plans than that. All the majors now have plans with unlimited voice/text and data (500MB or 1GB, etc) for ~$45, some even less.
And if you're not a high usage customer, there are other carriers that mostly ride on Sprint that are half that price or less.
On 1/22/2015 8:16 PM, Sasquatch JonesRalph West wrote:

There is no conclusion with these service providers. It is a constant battle with bill and services after initial offer expires.

goes month after month. Here's the high/low lights....

around as I would have expected.) DSL and no-frills phone was $115/month including taxes, fees, etc.

applying a credit for most of that for being a 10+ year customer -- and for my good looks, of course. AT&T has been a first rate cell phone company and affordable - $50/month for 450 anytime minutes for 2 phones. Just don't go over that limit or it's 45-cents a minute (if you're not good looking like me. ;O)

drop in the bucket toward what the real cost was to me in lost time and business.

That's a good point for movie & sports fans. I get enough of those on broadcast TV myself.

Sounds good. My Verizon line had 2 distinctive rings. Before I disconnected, I removed the 2nd ring. They told me at that time that this feature was no longer offered, and if I dropped the 2nd number, it could not be added back on. After hearing all their other lies about internet and FIOS, I suspect that that was true. But makes no difference.
VERIZON FIOS is the worst crap supplier I have ever been stuck with. noisy unsuable phone line, traced to a bad router in their central office after m onths of complaining, backup battery failure after less than 3 months, on m y new install, told we must charge for a new one, no warranty on backup bat tery, their phone sorting system sucks, makes you jump thru many hoops, the n your told try your call again later all reps are busy goodbye. their mark eting group is abusive in attempting to sell more service, to a already pis sed off customer. the phone reps are ignorant to callers probably because t hey must handle X calls per hour. company policies prevent any attempt to s atisfy customers.
after I finally disconnected fios they called, e mailed, snail mail, and th e worst sending sales people to my door at dinner time. I insited they remo ve everything verizon from my home, all copper drop, all fios junk .
verizon flat out refused but changed their mind, when I said I would put a banner on my home Verizon FIOS SUCKS.
The tech who removed everything said I wasnt the only one.......
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 2:42:16 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

months of complaining, backup battery failure after less than 3 months, on my new install, told we must charge for a new one, no warranty on backup b attery, their phone sorting system sucks, makes you jump thru many hoops, t hen your told try your call again later all reps are busy goodbye. their ma rketing group is abusive in attempting to sell more service, to a already p issed off customer. the phone reps are ignorant to callers probably because they must handle X calls per hour. company policies prevent any attempt to satisfy customers.

move everything verizon from my home, all copper drop, all fios junk .

I wanted to add ALL the service techs were friendly, helpful and knowledgab le. too bad evveryone who works for fios isnt like that. the phone reps are reall rude
On 1/22/2015 8:16 PM, Sasquatch JonesRalph West wrote:

Let us know what the price will be after the one year promo pricing is up.
Steve
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 2:42:16 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

office after months of complaining, backup battery failure after less than 3 months, on my new install, told we must charge for a new one, no warranty on backup battery, their phone sorting system sucks, makes you jump thru many hoops, then your told try your call again later all reps are busy goodbye. their marketing group is abusive in attempting to sell more service, to a already pissed off customer. the phone reps are ignorant to callers probably because they must handle X calls per hour. company policies prevent any attempt to satisfy customers.

they remove everything verizon from my home, all copper drop, all fios junk .

phone reps are reall rude
Exactly my experience with everything, BH. Every tech except one DSL tech was exceptional professional, knowledgeable, etc., and all said the same thing about Verizon not maintaining it's lines and equipment.
A Verizon billing person had asked for a number to call me today and discuss my demand for $800 refunds. "I'm sure we can come to an agreement," she wrote. Today I got an email saying she called and there was no answer, and to please let her know.... blah, blah, blah... corporate language...
I wrote back, asking what the balance is on my account. It should be around $200. I still have one more land line with Verizon, so I will settle for whatever it is, disconnect it and port that number somewhere else.

goes month after month. Here's the high/low lights....

around as I would have expected.) DSL and no-frills phone was $115/month including taxes, fees, etc.

I sure will. In the meantime, I'm still looking for the next provider so I don't get caught again, just in case.