concealing outdoor air conditioner pipes

I'm installing a mini-split air conditioner system in several rooms of my h ouse. The wire/pipe bundles need to run on exterior of house. The special ized ducts to conceal these wire/pipe bundles are 3x as expensive as typica l aluminum downspouts at HomeDepot. Has anyone had any luck with conceali ng such pipes in typical aluminum downspout pipe? Do you split them open?? Any other ideas? All comments appreciated. Thanks Theodore
they made need to be insulated
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:37:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Line set covers are 3 times thicker than a down spout.
On Monday, August 12, 2013 1:09:04 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

y house. The wire/pipe bundles need to run on exterior of house. The spec ialized ducts to conceal these wire/pipe bundles are 3x as expensive as typ ical aluminum downspouts at HomeDepot. Has anyone had any luck with conce aling such pipes in typical aluminum downspout pipe? Do you split them ope n?? Any other ideas? All comments appreciated.

Not sure what you mean by that. I would think the line sets are already insulated and all he wants to do is run them inside a gutter down spout. A typical whole house AC only uses a 7/8" suction line and a 3/8" pressure line. Only the suction line is insulated and it's maybe 1/2" thick. Presumably the lines for a mini-split are even smaller. So, I don't see why they wouldn't fit inside a down spout.

Correct. Line set for mini split is roughly 2.5" dia after I bundled the whole thing (wires, pressure and return line with integral foam insulation, 1/2" drain line) together with PVC tape.
On Monday, August 12, 2013 9:50:54 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So, if it fits in a gutter downspout, then I would just go ahead and use that to hide it. It's cheap, typically found on the outside of houses, etc, so it should be at least as good as anything else.
On 8/12/2013 8:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I think he means the covers are made of heavier material and offer better protection.