conc foundation under lolly or lally column?

The corbeled bottom of my 3 story brick chimney in the basement was removed and I would like to resupport the brick. I'd like to install a lolly column (a hollow 4" diameter adjustable height steel column) . Do I need to jack hammer the basement concrete floor and pour a concrete footing or can I sit the column base on a block of wood to distribute the weight?
A friend had that done by the builder of his new house. They cut a square out of the floor and poured a new footing. Apparantly the slab wasn't considered strong enough.
-rev
Robin wrote:

Generally the floor will not be strong enough and you should create a footer. The wood will not work.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
What is holding it up now? A 3 story chimney, with missing or weakened support can be very dangerous.

It needs a footing and the column needs to have sufficient strength to carry the load. You might need an engineer.
thanks for the help!~