Computers on the way out

Page 4 of 5
On 6/29/2011 3:58 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Hell, I'm on 24 hour call for my customers who ask:
"Do you charge extra for nights and weekends?"
"No, I charge the same outrageous rate all the time."
TDD

I used to be on call for a business that supplies home oxygen. Most weekends I'd get one call at the most. If your oxygen machine broke down, how long would you want to wait until you hear from me? Yes, there is a backup for a few hours, but you'd still want to know I was going to take care of you soon.
Yes, there is a

I learned this with my first "brick" phone. If people could talk to a human, they would wait, be patient, and be reasonable within a few parameters. They just wanted a time and assurance that the service tekkie would be there, and from X to XX o'clock. It was when they got a recording, or didn't get ahold of someone they were unsure.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Classy doctors use the vibrate feature. Unclassy people use "Bad to the Bone" at highest volume. And usually take 20 seconds to answer calls.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
On 6/29/2011 12:12 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

You can leave me out of the "We did fine without" group.
I would never ever go back to the days of wasting time because I didn't have communications. If for example the utility notifies you that they need to get into the apartment you own would you prefer hanging out for the day waiting or having the utility person call your cellphone from their cellphone 30 minutes prior to when they would be there?
If you were say driving to an event in the next state would you rather find out there was a problem (person in accident etc) after you drove 4 hours or would you prefer to be alerted shortly after you turned the key in your car?
Say a family member needs a medical procedure. Would you prefer reading old magazines for 5 hours instead of the recovery nurse telling you "give me your cell number and I will call you 45 minutes before you need to pick them up"?
And the list goes on. There is just too much utility value not to have and use one.

What horsecrap! You are so busy in your life, your own family members can't count on 5 hrs of concern on your part? They are so insignificant a business deal or dinner date is more important and THEY should be put on hold?
Take yer cell phone and jam it up yer ass! ...and don't bother to call.
nb
On 6/29/2011 4:12 PM, notbob wrote:

Talk about bizarre conclusions.
Do some thinking for a moment. Suppose you are in the waiting room biting your fingers because that is what they show on TV to show concern. Do you imagine the door will fly open and they will ask you to scrub in because they ran into issues they can't solve? Would it make any difference if you were standing across the street looking at the waterfall in the park?
A family member had lifesaving surgery at one of only two of the hospitals in the US that could do it. They are a premiere teaching hospital. Not only do they look out for the patient but they do their best to comfort and accommodate the family.
So when we brought him in for the surgery we stayed in the room until after midnight with no objections from the hospital. When he came out of surgery we were allowed in the ICU where they brought him when he came out of anesthesia.
When I bring him back for a followup outpatient procedure which will be necessary forever the nurse is the one who says "I am nurse Jones, please give me your cellphone number and go out for a walk or for lunch and I will call you" because they know you can prove nothing by sitting in the waiting room getting frustrated and imagining everything. And they also know that over 80% of the population have a cellphone so it isn't an unusual idea.
Times change and ideas change.
And that was a nice respectful reply when no one attacked you. I suppose that is part of your 99 year old cowboy persona with the "jes" this and "jes" that?
George wrote:

there are plenty of tests or procedures that take a long time but have no need for someone to wait for. dialysis comes to mind. the patient may need dropoff/pickup, but certainly sometime to wait with them is unnecessary.

What he said. I got no problems with people staying in touch. I do have a problem with some rude obnoxious filthy ring tone going off during church or at a restaurant. And it seems like it takes them the full 15 seconds to answer it. They know enough to download a ringtone, but can't figure out the vibrate feature.
I'm checking a jammer out.

That's just for the little people. How in the world would they catch you? You'd be gone before anything could be done. And who would associate some old fart in Bermuda shorts and mismatching shoes and an Old Guys Rule T shirt with something that high tech?
I won't say who, but a very close acquaintance of mine is a LEO. She has THOUSANDS of copied movies. So much for the FBI disclaimer before movies.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
On 6/28/2011 7:13 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I am a heavy cell user but I also know that technology doesn't trump basic courtesy and manners.
I find it really annoying to be assaulted by folks who are mannerless. If I am at a service the phone is *off*. If I go to a movie the phone is *off*. If I am at a restaurant the phone is on vibrate so I can see who is calling but I will never answer it. If important I will walk out into the lobby and return the call.
Dbdblocker wrote:

I take it you have not seen the videos MS released on Windows 8 ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

On 6/28/2011 10:08 AM, Dbdblocker wrote:

You just showed us you don't know a whole heck of a lot about computers.
Hint: smart phones and tablets are designed for the consumption of content. Desktop pcs are used to create content. Bandwidth and consumption limits are also constraints that affect mobile computing to a greater degree.
Mobile computing doesn't supplant desktop computing. What it's doing is expanding the computer market.
On 6/28/2011 1:21 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

There are some laptops that have big enough screens and keyboards that I could see one as a desktop replacement but it would have to be a quite fast and powerful laptop for me. Besides, I'm as blind as a bat and absolutely have to have a big screen monitor or I can't do anything. As far as a cellphone goes, I have the simplest cellphone I could get because I just want a freaking phone that makes phone calls, nothing else. :-)
TDD

Stupid is as stupid does, Db.
Steve
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:08:25 -0400, Dbdblocker wrote:

You'll not experience the actual computing power of a desktop in a tablet or smartphone for a good while to come. They couldn't touch this 4 ghz quad core AMD/Asus combo with 8 GB ram, NVidia CUDA support and 2 terabytes of SATA 3 storage. Oh, forgot the 32" HD monitor. :)
On 6/28/2011 5:35 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Nor can most people afford the no-longer-unlimited cell phone data plans, and there are vast parts of the country where cell phones barely work, if at all, for voice calls, much less a high speed data connection.
I think all these writers predicting the end of last-decade technology have never been to fly-over country. Desktops and laptops, and hard cable internet connections, will be with us for the next couple of decades, unless somebody invents a new way to blanket the country with wireless signal.
--
aem sends...

On 6/28/2011 5:27 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Subspace communications planet to planet. I already know some people who seem to be from outer space. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 18:27:52 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I took my IPad 2 on a flight across the country 2 months ago. The airline had wireless. Boy what a joke that was. They use common carrier cell towers that aren't even EVO1X. Once you get say 30 people online it's useless. Unless you live in a large city, 4G is spotty. I have a 4G USB stick for my netbook. It's like using 33.6 dial up. Nowhere near the rated data transfer. Maybe in ten years when we're in generation 6 or 7 of cellular data it might be a bit faster but for now it sucks for everything except text email and messaging.
On 6/28/2011 7:32 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Maybe try a different carrier? I have a 4G phone. When in a 4G area I typically see 9 Mb/s download (24 Mb/s in Philly last week) which rivals my cable modem at home. When in a 3G area I typically see 2 Mb/s download which is also quite usable.