Computers on the way out

Page 1 of 5
Looks like desktop and laptop computers are on the way out. The smartphone with it's always on internet browser is coming in. Use a tablet to connect to your smartphone's own hotspot if you want a larger screen. Portable, mobile use anywhere. Should also kill computer desk sales. Works for me.
--
Dbdblocker
Planet Earth
Dbdblocker wrote:

Hmmm, Make sure battery does not die on your smart phone.

Nonsense.
Can't do graphics, photo, cam/cam, spreadsheets, and a dozen other things on a cellphone or even a tablet. Yes, full desktops boxes will lose popularity for many purposes and no doubt get smaller in size, but will never be "on the way out", any more than TV's. Another thing. I'll never use a cellphone or tablet for anything I need to view. I'm a geezer and can't see something that small fer dammit, and EVERYONE'S eyes get worse with age and EVERYONE ages.
nb
notbob wrote:

Yep. A friend of mine has an ipad and it's nice for some things, but even in the limited time I spent playing with it I found quite a few times where a keyboard, mouse and larger display were really needed. I also do the CAD/CAM and CNC control on desktop type PCs, with a 26" monitor on my CAD/CAM PC. I certainly won't be doing any CAD/CAM work on a tiny phone or tablet screen.
wrote Re Re: Computers on the way out:

+1 on that. My experience exactly.

On 6/28/2011 11:32 AM, notbob wrote:

Actually pretty accurate. Desktop sales continue to decline each year in favor of more portable devices.
The newer smartphones do a pretty good job of panning and zooming. My phone has an 8 megapixel camera so I am pretty sure it does photos and video (it also does stuff like scanning barcodes and has software that allows me to take a picture of a document and convert it into a PDF and send it via its full featured email client if I want), I can certainly do spreadsheets and I have no idea what cam/cam is.
And I do use the wireless hotspot for my tablet notebook.

"Desktop sales continue to decline" != "on the way out"
nb
On 6/28/2011 11:54 AM, George wrote:

And the reason is because the desktop market has reached saturation. More than 75% of the population owns one (or more) already. So instead of buying another one, they are buying a mobile device. For most people, it's not replacing their desktop, it's being used in addition to their desktop.
George wrote:

Which are ok for either req'd portability and/or the small viewpoint few-minute task...

But panning and zooming is _very_ time-consuming for _real_ work of any great magnitude. And the input devices for manual interaction are, to coin a phrase, "pathetic" simply owing to the size factor.
The workstation isn't going away; simply the number of alternates for other purposes is going up. I'd wager a fair amount of any decline in sales is tied to economic conditions more than the form factor for the market wherein workstations are important.
There are simply different types of work being done on the different platforms and I don't see that the large scale work is going to go away but the more or less trivial application has always outclassed the "power user" in sheer numbers and will continue to do so.
But as another poster notes, it's a far different thing to say that other markets grow than that the whole workstation market is going away

imo, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

This is even why, as good as computer maps are, if I have a paper map, it's better because I can pan and zoom in a centisecond.

On 6/28/2011 8:59 PM, mm wrote:

But you need to have access to a paper map. Electronic maps bring a lot to the table. I have never seen a paper map that can locate your position on it and tell you which direction you are traveling (pretty handy when it is pitch black in a rainstorm and you are in an unfamiliar area or you got forced off the highway you knew because it was shutdown say because of an accident).
I have also never seen a paper map where you could tap on it and have it tell you the route to the nearest hospital or the location of nearby restaurants (and link you to their website so you can look at the menu).

On 6/28/2011 2:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Exactly, the OP likely works for someones marketing department.

That's partly because everyone has a computer now, and many have no need for a better one.
About 20 or 30 years ago, the most sold power tool was a sabre saw, because everyone who used tools already had an electric drill.

I started with an 8088 computer with two floppy drives, no hard drive. I bough new ever second generation and each was a big improvement. Faster, better software, new gadgets like a color monitor, then a mouse, 300 baud modem, etc. What I have today is as fast as I can use, the internet is fast enough for video, my monitor is a nice flat screen. New computers have only a small increment of improvement for home and light business use. Unless it breaks, I won't ever buy a new one just for more features and speed.
Four months ago I needed a new phone so I got a smart phone. It is handy, but it does not replace my desktop computer. It does have one nice feature though. I can take it into the bathroom and instead of a magazine, I can read the news on the phone.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:11:18 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Doesn't the shower get it wet? Wait a sec, didn't the shower get the magazine wet too?
On 6/28/2011 10:32 AM, notbob wrote:

I agree. it's like comparing a mac-in-toy to a pc.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/28/2011 11:32 AM, notbob wrote:

All those things will be in the cloud. 10 inch tab not big enough? They will get bigger.

Another fantasy scam!!
I won't even put my real name on the internet, let alone important data. In case you haven't been paying attention, hackers are hacking everything in sight, including govt security agencies! Putting information on the cloud is a fool's game.

Yeah, like I'm gonna hump around a 19" cellphone/pad.
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

Wouldn't that be called a laptop? Or a MaxiPad?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Honey, where's my MaxiPad?
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide
On 6/28/2011 6:30 PM, notbob wrote:

Cynically speaking, it's a good move if you want to outsource the security issues and subsequent liability for when the security gets breached. I can see companies choosing this for precisely that reason - "Losing your data to hackers was not our fault! It was the cloud storage company's fault!"
If you actually care about your data and security, that's a problem. If you rely on cloud services, your data and apps will be a hostage to the company's fortunes. Piss them off? Congratulations, you've just lost access to your data. Company went bankrupt? Same thing.
Ironically, the cloud concept is inherently disadvantageous to American IT companies, because anything stored on US-based servers can be accessed by the US gov't on demand. Foreign-based corporations and individuals don't like that one bit. If they choose the cloud, they will (and are) choosing companies that can keep their data offshore and out of the US gov't's hands. This places US cloud service providers at a competitive disadvantage. Of course, if it isn't the feds snooping, it's the Chinese hackers you've got to worry about.

They won't get bigger. There's a reason why the majority of books fall within a fairly small size range - they're meant to be portable, after all. And lcd screens are a good bit more fragile than books, and are the single largest consumer of electricity in an electronic device. Increase the screen size, you gotta increase the size of the battery, too. Now you're talking real weight and bulk issues.