computer Surge Suppressor-protector question

Page 2 of 5
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:29:31 -0500, "Twayne"

I didn't post anything that is not so. Maybe instead of hit and run complaints you could learn to put your "correction" after what you think is a mistake, so other readers could see what you think is wrong. Instead of at the end, where no one knows what you're referring to.

I could say the same thing to you.

No, it didn't.

"Hibernation is "OFF". The ONLY things that won't work if you remove all power are things like wake-on-LAN and such. Literally everything you were working on goes to the hard drive. Once it's written to the drive, there is no need to power it. THAT is why it was orginally intended for laptops & the like. Instead of guessing and posting misinformation, why not go research it first, so you have a good post and increase your credbility?
HTH,
Twayne`"
Well T-Wayne, as I have said, if want to power-off...and you are in the habit of doing so, and you have been doing so without consequence...by all means. I don't and MS doesn't say to either. Am I a credible source? Some think I am...most...probably not.
On 3/12/2011 2:29 PM, Twayne wrote:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions
If it will "wake on lan", it is ON. At the very least the power supply is on and any circuitry to monitor the lan is on.
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:32:50 -0500, Tony Miklos

But all that is true after Win-key / Turn Off Computer / Turn Off, also, isn't it? And that's known as Off.
The harddrives aren't spinning, the fans aren't spinning, the output to the monitor and speakers is gone, if there's anything in RAM it might be the "melted" residue of what was there when the computer was running.
Isn't the need for wake-on-lan etc/ the reason they eliminated the mechanical on/off switch on computers and went to a momementary contact switch that controls a circuit which turns everything off, except the little things we've listed, plus a little circuit to turn it back on again.
The only thing different about Hibernate from Turn Off is that before turning off, Hibernate copies the RAM to a file and sets a flag so the OS copies that file back to RAM during startup. IOW everything is the same except for the contents on the harddrive of one big file and probably one short file.
If one considers Hibernate to be On, then Turned Off is also On and what is Off?

When the PC is turned off, power to the CPU and RAM are gone and so is any contents.

Not sure if that's the only reason for seperating the on/off button from directly operating the line switch, but it's one obvious reason. Another is that when you push the power button to turn it off, it gives the system time to perform a very quick but orderly shutdown that is safer in terms of corrupting things than the instant power interruption.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 04:45:11 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Forgot that. Of course.

Oh, yeah. Of course.

On 3/12/2011 8:51 PM, mm wrote:

Off is when the hard wired switch on the P/S is off and/or the power cord is unplugged. Remember that this whole thread subject is about surge protection, just like your TV with a remote control, the pc is on unless it's unplugged. By the way, you don't leave the "wake on lan" option turned on do you? If you do it will allow someone to hack into your computer when it's "turned off" as you described above. (that is if the modem and/or router are turned on also and you have a connection to the internet.)
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:39:43 -0400, Tony Miklos

So that probably means none of the tvs in your house are ever off except when you're moving furniture. Or any of the devices with a power transformer and a switch in the secondary circuit, which is most radios and lots of other stuff. I don't think many people use the word that way. If you want to say the computers etc. are on standby, I'd go for that, but not On.
OTOH, they're not really on standy unless one of the Wake functions is enabled and connected, and none of them are in my case. So what else is mine standing by for? For me to push the on/off button. By that token, the iron is standing by for me to move the temp lever from Off to Cotton. And the oven is standing by for me to turn the knob to oven. Hmmmm, depending on the orders given to it by the manufacturers, maybe even the stuff that hasn't been sold yet, is standing by in the stores for me to buy it, connect it, and turn it on.

I paid attention to this and I don't know about other computers but mine requires a jumper wire from the LAN card to the Wake-on-LAN connector on the mobo to be able to wake it via the LAN. No jumper's installed.

Actually, my next mobo has LAN built in, so thanks for the reminder. I'll make sure that wake-on-lan is disabled.
Although if went out of town for a long time, would turning it on temporarily it enable me to turn the computer on and download my email**? Or even do other things with software installed on it that's not installed on the netbook I'll be borrowing? For example, if I forgot a password that was in my home computer, and I had Remote Assistance enabled, and I had the password with me, would that let me start the computer with wake on lan, then run the computer, and get the password. ETc. etc. ??
**I want it all on my home computer, and the part I get while traveling also on the netbook.

Wouldn't you want to access your email from the internet rather than a POP3 server? WTF!
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:05:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa

No. I can't stand webmail. It's only for when nothing else is possible, like a libary computer or when at someone's home. My last long trip 4 years ago, I bought a laptop and put Eudora on it, but didnt' delete any email from the server, so they could still be dl'd at home. At that time, even though I put some Yahoo lists on hold, it looked like I would run out of space on the server before I got home, so I had a friend go to my house midway on my trip and dl my mail.
They made my server mailbox much bigger about that time, but I still pursue goals that maybe aren't important anymore. And wake-on-lan/remote access would have many capabilities if I could do it, not just email.

outlook on my home computer gets the mail it leaves it on the server for 10 days - and I do the same on my notebook when travelling.
I can also get my email from web-mail at any internet cafe, library, or other computer anywhere in the world.
It does not "synchronize" the emails - if I remove it on one machine it is still on the other, and if I answer an email on one machine, the other does not know about it.
On the office system we are setting up exchange to allow outlook web access - which allows you to log onto the exchange server from anywhere in the world, from computer or smart-phone , just like you were on your workstation in the office.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 21:18:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That was a problem after the last trip. Some emails had, or might have had, important information that was in no incoming email.**
This trip, I'll be sending to myself a copy of everything I send out.
**In fact, I don't think I would have lost much, but I lost less by backing up the laptop's harddrive when I got home, so I have everything. And a good thing, becuase 30 months later, after not using the computer for 27 months, I practically watched as the files disappeared and then the directories.
The computer worked fine 27 months earlier, and I ddin't drop it or anything during the intervening time.

Cool. I wish I worked where you do.

Rou misread me, or I misread you. It is only the REMOVING of the mail on one that the other does not know about.
You can set the length of time the mail remains o the server from one or two days to forever

On 3/13/2011 9:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, my sister works out of her home most of the time and logs on to the server at work. I can send her private email on that line but it will not allow any download from anywhere other than the server. She can surf the web, but all file downloads, updates, windows updates, virus updates... everything has to come through the server at work.

Oh yeah, that's what L stands for. So what was Tony talking about people hacking my computer through LAN. The only one using my LAN at home is me, at both ends!
People who share the same office? They can just come over and turn the computer on when the person isn't there, and if a password is required, they'll be stuck by LAN or by sea (in person).

My current one has that. I'll have to check my next one. Dang, it's a Dell, got it free from a friend and doesn't have much documentation. No reference to wake or LAN in the manual, and TAD connector is shown on the sketch of the mobo but there is no reference to it. I knew there woudl be a price for having a Dell instead of the fancy mobos a another friend used to give me, including the one I'm using now, and this is the start of it.
(If my trip were on schedule, I'd be still using this one, but it's not on schedule.)

Looks great, thanks.
On 3/13/2011 11:18 PM, mm wrote:

"Local" doesn't always mean what it sounds like. I don't know about your setup but my internet and millions of others go *through* the LAN. Click on settings, network connections and you should see a path going to your internet service.

If you are on the internet your LAN can be an extention of the WAN , or internet, and under some conditions can be reached from outside (if you open up the router, for instance)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 20:25:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Computers. Too complicated for me.
Maybe I'll just send a letter home adn see if that starts the email download.
On 3/13/2011 4:31 PM, mm wrote:

Again, look at the subject!!!! I am saying if it is not unplugged or turned of with a 120vac switch, then part of the circuitry is on and more subject to spikes/surges then if it is turned off completely. Call it standby if you wish, I don't care, but do so recognizing that it is more subject to spikes/surges than if it were off completely. Can we agree on this?
And yes about the TV on standby, *when talking about surges/spikes* that is why some people unplug them during a lighting storm instead of just turning them "off".
As far as the oven being on standby, *when talking about surges/spikes* I'd say it is indeed on standby it is if it is controlled electronically and has no mechanical switch to turn it off.