computer question

Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Have you got your screen resolution set properly?

You can probably access it from that same control panel / display window under "Settings." There's a slider in the lower right that on my machine is labeled "Screen area." Slide it to the right (if possible) and click "Apply."

Reply to
CJT

Thinking either that, or hes got his colors set to 256...

Reply to
CBHVAC

Good thought. Set on that same item of Control Panel.

Reply to
CJT

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a mosaic.

I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was functioning properly.

Well, it isn't.

Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?

Steve<

This is a good group for computer questions.

Bill Miller

Nope. That doesn&#39;t do it. Color set at highest - 32bit.

Reply to
SteveB

"Bill Miller" wrote

Oh, I know. That&#39;s why I asked here.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Remember the Simpsons episode with Xena, where she gave a press conference before being abducted by Comic Book Man?

A wizard did it.

:-)

Reply to
CJT

Have you installed a web accelerator recently? I have heard this can cause your symptom. I do not know as I have cable.

DanG

*You* can get the same effect by using a cable decelerator.

Well, not really.

To the OP, is this a home computer or an office computer. This ng is only for home stuff.

  1. Hhave you thought about telling us what OS you have. That should start almost every question. We&#39;re not mindreaders.

Freebie. Check out "Display". Better yet, check out everything on the control panel if you have one, so you&#39;ll know what they do.

mm

LOL You did click on the link, under "this is a good group for computer questions" that he was referring to????

Reply to
calhoun

Yes, and I got to a huge site that was hard to navigate, and wanted me to register. I already get enough spam.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

STeve,

Try to flush your browser cache and or any *.tmp files. Since you checked resolutions, try re-installing the drivers after you remove them. Files can be corrupted.

oren

did not see what OS he had, but "System Restore" with XP sure fixes a lot of problems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Point your usenet news reader to;

24hoursupport.helpdesk

A very bhelpfu, though frequently ribald, newsgroup, with the best helpdesk for computer issues which I have ever experienced.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

His header gave it away, IE 6.x.x.x.x. - cannot be removed from his OS. Perhaps an OS update/ web site hijacked something. Check for viruses/adware, etc.

oren

Probably the easiest way to take care of the problem is to restore your computer to an earlier date when the problem did not exist. You want to do a restore NOT recover. The restore feature should be in the programs group menu. Programs < accessories < system tools < system restore. At least that&#39;s where xp has it.

If the problem is just with your web browser then you could try a repair. Not sure, but I believe this option is done via the "control panel" < "add/remove programs". Been awhile since I&#39;ve farted with my pc.

My kids used to play a game off a cd-rom that would always mess the graphics up. The only way I could fix the problem was through a system restore.

Good Luck

-Felder

Reply to
felderbush001

You browser options probably have a check for "show image placeholders", an option that allows the display to forego downloading images and makes for faster browsing. In IE, it is in tools/internet options/advanced. In Mozilla, in Edit/Preferences/Privacy Security/Images, there is a button to choose "do not download any images". Sounds like you have placeholders displaying and no images downloading.

Reply to
Norminn

It&#39;s pretty risky to ask computer questions in ahr. What would be, normally, a 10-second adjustment in your software settings will get you advice to shop for a new tool costing at least $100. :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Maybe you&#39;re using Mosaic browser?

Reply to