computer question

Page 1 of 2
Well, I can't figure it out, so I will ask youse guys .........
When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a mosaic.
I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was functioning properly.
Well, it isn't.
Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Have you got your screen resolution set properly?
You can probably access it from that same control panel / display window under "Settings." There's a slider in the lower right that on my machine is labeled "Screen area." Slide it to the right (if possible) and click "Apply."

CBHVAC wrote:

Nope. That doesn't do it. Color set at highest - 32bit.
SteveB wrote:

Remember the Simpsons episode with Xena, where she gave a press conference before being abducted by Comic Book Man?
A wizard did it.
:-)

When I bring up my home page, or ebay, or lots of sites, the pictures look like mosaics. They are recognizable, but appear as small chunks, like a mosaic.
I went to control panel - display - and went through the stuff there about the drivers and updating. It said it had the latest driver, and that it was functioning properly.
Well, it isn't.
Am I missing something simple, or is my video card shot?
Steve<
This is a good group for computer questions.
http://nospin.com /

Oh, I know. That's why I asked here.
STeve
wrote

LOL You did click on the link, under "this is a good group for computer questions" that he was referring to????
wrote

Yes, and I got to a huge site that was hard to navigate, and wanted me to register. I already get enough spam.
Steve
Point your usenet news reader to;
24hoursupport.helpdesk
A very bhelpfu, though frequently ribald, newsgroup, with the best helpdesk for computer issues which I have ever experienced.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.

STeve,
Try to flush your browser cache and or any *.tmp files. Since you checked resolutions, try re-installing the drivers after you remove them. Files can be corrupted.

did not see what OS he had, but "System Restore" with XP sure fixes a lot of problems.

His header gave it away, IE 6.x.x.x.x. - cannot be removed from his OS. Perhaps an OS update/ web site hijacked something. Check for viruses/adware, etc.
SteveB wrote:

It's pretty risky to ask computer questions in ahr. What would be, normally, a 10-second adjustment in your software settings will get you advice to shop for a new tool costing at least $100. :o)
Have you installed a web accelerator recently? I have heard this can cause your symptom. I do not know as I have cable.

*You* can get the same effect by using a cable decelerator.
Well, not really.
To the OP, is this a home computer or an office computer. This ng is only for home stuff.
2. Hhave you thought about telling us what OS you have. That should start almost every question. We're not mindreaders.
Freebie. Check out "Display". Better yet, check out everything on the control panel if you have one, so you'll know what they do.

SteveB wrote:

Probably the easiest way to take care of the problem is to restore your computer to an earlier date when the problem did not exist. You want to do a restore NOT recover. The restore feature should be in the programs group menu. Programs < accessories < system tools < system restore. At least that's where xp has it.
If the problem is just with your web browser then you could try a repair. Not sure, but I believe this option is done via the "control panel" < "add/remove programs". Been awhile since I've farted with my pc.
My kids used to play a game off a cd-rom that would always mess the graphics up. The only way I could fix the problem was through a system restore.
Good Luck -Felder
SteveB wrote:

You browser options probably have a check for "show image placeholders", an option that allows the display to forego downloading images and makes for faster browsing. In IE, it is in tools/internet options/advanced. In Mozilla, in Edit/Preferences/Privacy Security/Images, there is a button to choose "do not download any images". Sounds like you have placeholders displaying and no images downloading.

Maybe you're using Mosaic browser?
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info