Computer monitor problem

Page 1 of 4
0-year-old Microtec 815C monitor having A/C problems. Yesterday took plug fiddling and source power (UPS) to get the power indicator light to come on. This morning I gave up. Had same problem and replaced it temorarily with a monitor from another system. Played with defective monitor with A/C power strip switch. First worked sometimes but now not at all. Changed A/C cord. Checked connection to monitor. No fuse I can see.
Seems kaput. Any suggestions before I junk it? Otherwise it works fine.
If I need to replace it what do you think? Buy another monitor? Buy another Desktop and monitor (my XP ststem is about 10 years old - hate to buy it another monitor)? Buy a laptop? Can't really afford any of these options but still - got to get on Usenet!
TIA
On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 10:31:25 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

0 yrs old? WTF...you don't say it's flat panel or tube? You can get a tube-type for free or a flat panel used for 10-$20 depending on size.

He told us the model number.
Its probably a bad electrolytic cap in the power supply.
Easy repair for an electronics tech.
Mark

Or in the inverter.
Or, shorted FETs in the inverter.
For really old units, sometimes the fluorescent tubes go bad (though they usually turn pink-ish before giving up the ghost).

Most of these repairs are limited by how long it takes to disassemble the thing -- without breaking lots of little hidden plastic latches. And, finding a place to set it (in pieces) while you troubleshoot. And, *store* it while you wait for the particular parts that you may have to order/pick up (unless you do this regularly or for a living).
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:11:20 -0700, Don Y

Better than 90% of failures in the '80s to early 2000's were due to counterfeit electrolyte in the capacitore. Look for caps with "domed heads" - they should be concave, not convex. Sometimes the convex tops will also have a crusty scum on the top (dried leaked selectrolyte)
On 12/2/2015 7:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A monitor can limp along with a failing cap -- long enough to stress the FET's in the inverter until *they* fail (shorted). That, in turn, takes out the fuses to the inverter (*if* it has any) or drags the power supply down so the controller can't operate reliably.
HP had some monitors that would catch *fire*! Talk about "design flaw"!
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 20:22:19 -0700, Don Y

You'd have a hard time giving me most HP products, other than their business grade computers.
On 12/3/2015 11:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When HP "was HP" (pre Agilent -- and whatever the latest split entails!), they made excellent products! Old laser printers just "kept on keepin' on". Ditto test equipment, etc.
But, HP, nowadays, is a step above "generic"...
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 11:24:46 -0700, Don Y

If you are standing on your head - - -
On 12/3/2015 3:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Some of their enterprise class machines are respectable.
I dumped the last of my pen plotters in favor of a large format printer-plotter... keeping the pens from drying out (with the infrequent use that I have) was more trouble than it was worth!
[Though watching it plot was almost "therapeutic"!]
But, the consumer stuff is largely disposable. And, printers are just "ink selling tools".
[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax, etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for the stuff you are likely to print!]
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 16:09:02 -0700, Don Y

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks) We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)
The two colour lasers are Toshiba copier/print centers with colaters and stapler. They also do a fair bit of scanning - but we also have a slew of Fujitsu highspeed duplex sheet feed scanners and 2 high speed Panasonic duplex sheet feeders. One of the panasonics is over 1000000 scans already - about half the fujitsus as well.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 19:03:42 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

The only thing that kills more trees than an insurance office is a law office.
The millions of sheets scanned were to digitise records. so we don't have to store truckloads of paper.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 22:02:56 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

No hard copies required older than a certain point if at all - just need to be able to produce on demand. Everything is stored as PDF.
On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets? Laser is so much cheaper/faster...

Ah, so you're not paying the "liquid cocaine" prices that folks who have inkjets at home are paying -- while they look for an EXCUSE to print some color in their newsletter, correspondence, etc.
[SWMBO uses a monochrome LJ to print photos. She's typically not concerned with the colors -- she can make them up to suit her fancy (yellow sky, anyone?). But, what the mono printers provide is information about the *values* in the composition -- darks, lights, etc. (regardless of actual "color")]

Ah, so you're concerned with generating paperwork! (still don't see why color... "OVERDUE!! PAY NOW or Uncle Guido comes and breaks your legs!" ?)

I'd welcome a high speed scanner. Ideally, one that "photographs" the pages instead of a "scan down the page". Currently, when I want to scan bound materials, I have to sacrifice the original document (no problem) -- cut the binding off and put the pages in the sheet feeder... then, wait forever for each page to be scanned.
[OTOH, I don't have to babysit the process...]
Biggest time sink is proofing the resulting document: are all of the pages present? Any get scanned crooked?
Don Y wrote:

I have pro quality inkjet for printing photo only. All other jobs are on multi function color laser.

On 12/3/2015 10:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I have a little "PictureStation" that makes gorgeous postcard-sized photos. I suspect the media is very expensive (dunno, I always seem to find new boxes being discarded). f SWMBO needs a color photo of some picture she took, I'll use that. Slow as it makes 5 passes over the picture (CMYK+sealant) but you'd be hard-pressed to tell it didn't come from "Kodak".
I use color laser for higher volume jobs -- newsletters, etc. And, a solid-ink Phaser for production quality output.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 20:23:01 -0700, Don Y

Talk about an expensive way to print!!! We had a Phazer at the office for a while. Kept having memory problems at a rate of about $300 a stick, added to the insane price of the "wax"
The "boss" got great satisfaction from throwing it out the back door to paved driveway.
On 12/4/2015 8:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yup. I could never afford it if I'd had to buy the printer (OR the ink! :> )
OTOH, I only use it for my "proof copies" of everything -- before bringing them to the (professional) printer. I.e., ensure the correct color mappings, cropping, etc. I keep these "originals" in a binder (in "sleeves" soas not to have to punch holes in them).
[My monitors, printer and scanner are all color-calibrated so I can know what a particular color will REALLY look like when it is "mass produced"]

Never had a problem with the marking engine. Don't like using it, though, cuz it wastes a lot of "ink" on startup. And, makes the house smell like "burnt crayons" -- not an unpleasant smell but not a pleasant one, either! :-/

Was a time I had three of them. I'd use them until I ran out of ink, then recycle them.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:43:07 -0700, Don Y

We were using third party wax for the last 2 years - actually at one point we had 2 of them in the building - - the first one was discardes with a full load of wax -(imossible to remove and salvage for use in the other one) when the RAM went bad AGAIN.
The last one got discarded when the boss had had enough of it's misbehaving (I think it was another RAM failure - He didn't bother having me check it out before HE chucked it out. I picked up the pieces to take to the recycler.
On 12/5/2015 1:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I recently had to *purchase* a toner cart for one of the low temp LJ's. It was *REALLY* hard to do (psychologically) -- having never had to BUY ink/toner in the past! :-/
I generate a lot of "virtual paper" -- but try hard not to make that *real* paper! I.e., most of my proofing and editing is done on the screen. I tend to only resort to making print copies when I'm making proofs (and "pre-proofs").
Or, if I am systematically checking large tables or other masses of data that are easier to be able to "check off" (with a pen) when they've verified.
E.g., there are *hundreds* of "rules" for each of my speech synthesizers (i.e., a particular combination of letters is pronounced in a particular manner when encountered in a particular context). You go cross-eyed trying to keep track of which rule you are examining when you are viewing it on a screen (the symbols used to represent the sounds aren't traditional "letters" that you could easily make a mental note of while parsing the table).
OTOH, print it out and you can use your fingertips to track which line you're on -- and a marker/pen/highlighter to note which ones you've already checked. Kinda hard to do on the screen!