Computer idiot

Page 5 of 5
On 3/14/2016 9:57 AM, philo wrote:

So, you turned the thermostat down a couple degrees for her?

negligee

husband

You mean she hit her head too? (-{
--
Bobby G.

On 03/16/2016 10:47 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Her next step would have been to hit me over the head with a club and drag me away.
On 3/13/2016 3:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

What's that old joke(?) ?
Support: Please check to ensure that the computer is plugged in.
Idiot: I can't see the wall socket to see if it's plugged in.
Support: Well, just follow the cord.
Idiot: I still won't be able to see it, the power's out and we have no lights!
[snip]

I have been at a computer user group meeting when someone asked me if I could figure out why their computer wouldn't work. I looked under the table and found in plugged into a power strip which was plugged into someone else's power strip (common in this old building with very few outlets) which was turned off. I wanted this to sound more interesting, so I said the problem was a "floating input".
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 3/13/2016 6:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

LOL!
--
Maggie

maybe he has you on speed dial.
On 03/13/2016 05:33 PM, taxed and spent wrote: ?

Probably.
That said, even though he does not have any money to pay me, he generally at least gives me some books.
This time he gave me a Scientific American magazine from 1917 !
I was servicing copiers for a living, a fill in secretary called and report ed her machine wouldnt print. i arrived at school dismissal, the office was a zoo....... couldnt talk with the secretary. the machine had no toner in it at all. so i added a case of toner and left. planned on visiting the nex t morning.
she called very early to report the copier had quit working again.
the service counter said 100 copies since i was last there, the night befor e.....
no toner in the machine. none at all.
found out the customer had dumped the toner twice, to clean it:(
its amazing at how many ways things can get messed up.
i remind myself if it werent for people doing stupid things. i wouldnt have a job
On 03/13/2016 08:20 PM, bob haller wrote:

Public school systems are amazing. Maybe they need more tax dollars?
cheezwhiz posted for all of us...

You don't know a quarter of it... Take any circumstance of failure it will be ensured that will be the primary focus. I get your comment about tax dollars. Image one has a fund to replace their roof next year. It's almost up to needed funding, then you find 10 bux in your pocket. You say to yourself: I'll add this to the roof fund and use it to go to the Bahamas because it seems like a nice idea. Roof fund no longer exists but replacement is necessary, now. Oh and by the way we gotta replace the plumbing too.
--
Tekkie

On 03/13/2016 09:20 PM, bob haller wrote:
<snip>

Yep.
If you know how to fix something you will always have job security.
Per philo:

And, at least with physical stuff, be mostly immune of offshoring.
--
Pete Cresswell

I had a call to repair a machine that used 240 volts at high current. The customer had cobbled together a adapter cord from a 16 gauge light cord extension......
when I told them wrong outlet wrong voltage and very unsafe, FIRE HAZARD, they got mad at me.
So I just walked out the door, I cant fix stupid.........
On 03/13/2016 09:28 PM, bob haller wrote:

One customer called me and said we sold him defective equipment because it was giving people shocks.
Went there and who ever wired it up ... did not have the right AC plug (It was 460 v 3 phase) they cut the tab off the ground tine and plugged it into the receptacle rotated which made the case live!
I cut the plug off and threw it away, then went to see the factory foreman and started cussing him out.
He then kicked me out of the plant and said, "I don't need a lecture on safety!"
I bet he was the idiot who wired the thing.
On 3/14/2016 5:52 AM, philo wrote:

Hope you documented that on the work order, so you didn't incur liability.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/13/2016 2:35 PM, philo wrote:

My tip for those damn computers with no HD activity light.. is this tip,... https://www.sepago.com/blog/2014/01/22/freeware-diskled-tool
On 03/14/2016 07:42 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:

I'm not concerned so much with hard drive activity as I am with brain activity.