Computer idiot

Page 1 of 5
Did a computer repair yesterday and returned it today.
He said he knew how to hook it up.
A few hours later he called and told me he could not enter text.
From previous experience with this clown I knew at once he did not have the keyboard plugged in.
My question:
How did he manage to plug in the mouse, the AC cord, the monitor and the Ethernet cable?
For that matter how did he even figure out how to dial my phone number?
On 3/13/2016 12:35 PM, philo wrote:

How do you know he had ANY of those plugged in? He may have been staring at a BLACK monitor, banging on the keyboard and complaining that he "couldn't enter text!"

I won't do repairs (computer, TV, etc.) or reinstalls (software) for hire. Gladly do them GRATIS for friends/colleagues but not "the paying public"... they expect too much and invest too little!
On 03/13/2016 02:44 PM, Don Y wrote:

For friends of mine with little or no money, I do not charge.
If the person has a decent income, I typically do charge...or at least barter. Years ago I made a fair amount of money repairing computers but now rarely take on more than two repairs a week.
I find working on computers fun but dealing with people a PITA.
The person in this situation is one of those who earns his living by selling books on eBay so I keep his machine working. He makes just enough to get by.
On 2016-03-13 4:01 PM, philo wrote:

A'freaking'men. Repairing computers usually is not worth the hassle.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 03/13/2016 03:19 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I turned down a job a few days ago from someone who has a proven bad track record. He is notorious for wasting my time and expecting not to pay me.
The ones who actually pay however, tend to be the least amount of trouble.
The most recent of those was a woman who got a new computer, and the place that sold it to her said they'd put the data from her old machine on her external drive and the fee was $100
She agreed to that but they then told her the USB ports on her old computer were not working and they could not do it. At least they did not expect payment.
She paid me $100 to do so. It only took me a few minutes to fix the USB problem.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:19:12 -0400, FrozenNorth

And selling them is even less "rewarding".
If you can make 2$ profit on a computer sale today you are doing good. Not worth the hassle, particularly when you then have to spend half an hour or more on "free support" just to get the customer up and running. I supply hardware to the customers that pay me to maintain their stuff - more as a courtesy than anything else. I get paid by the hour by several customers to "be there" and look after whatever needs to be looked after for that week.
On 03/13/2016 04:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You are so right there.
Can't make anything building machines now...and since I stopped doing so I can mostly relax.
Decided to clean up my workshop today and almost all of the old machines I have down there are dual or quad core machines.
There was only one with a single core CPU, so I posted it up free on Facebook and it was gone in an hour.

Around here it's hard to give away anything less than a core2 duo.
On 03/13/2016 05:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I live in Milwaukee, if it's free someone will take it.
I suppose I really should get rid of that Win2000 server I have

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:11:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sorry - fat finger syndrome -- Make that 2% - which is a bit more than $2 but not an aufull lot!!!!
On 03/13/2016 05:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Last few machines I've built were those mobo/cpu combos.
Very cheap and they work fine. Extremely low power consumption.
On 3/13/2016 4:01 PM, philo wrote:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

hasn't that morphed into something like:
From each according to their willingness, to each according to their wants.
On 3/13/2016 1:01 PM, philo wrote:

I consider time to be the most valuable "commodity". I freely give mine to my friends. They tend to reciprocate -- in similar ways.
E.g., I asked a friend if she could drive me to pick up some plywood in her pickup truck last week; she handed me the keys.
I needed help removing -- and then reinstalling -- a picture window. Another friend dropped what he was doing the moment I asked -- even though I didn't need it done "right now".
A neighbor chuckles as I tend to drain the oil from the car *before* verifying that I've got replacement oil on hand -- and end up resorting to bumming a ride from her to go buy 5 qts.
OTOH, someone's kid accidentally deletes their homework and I drop what I'm doing to try to recover it for them.
Or, gets their machine infected with malware.
Or, needs a new branch circuit installed for XMAS lights.
Or...
As each of these are *favors*, none of us are REQUIRED to fulfill any of them! It's entirely elective -- not "payback" for something that was done for us previously. (/quid pro quo/)

+42

On 03/13/2016 06:57 PM, Don Y wrote:

Here is the best thing I've ever done when it comes to computer repair
or possibly the worst. ...and I am not making this up.
I got rid of two of the most bothersome characters this way:
I called each one and told them I would no longer be able to give them support but I told them I had an expert friend who could help ... then gave each one the phone number of the other!
If you knew what idiocy they subjected me to, you would know I did the right thing.
On 3/13/2016 6:52 PM, philo wrote:

That's why I am careful with my time. SWMBO has lots of single/widowed lady friends looking for "someone they can trust" to fix their computers, work around the house, cars, etc. "Gee, I'm sorry but Don't really busy..."
And, you can't "do for one" without the others finding out and wondering why you won't "do for THEM!", etc.
In reality, there's no deception, there. Folks can quickly "become demanding" -- esp when they are PAYING for something! (doing things as favors means you can always say "no"!)
<stuff snipped>

I learned early on that once you touch someone's computer in an attempt to help them you become responsible for everything that ever goes wrong with that computer until it hits the scrap heap.
My boss got mad at ME for getting him to back up his PC for the first time ever (200MB drive at the time) because I discovered much of the disk was cross-linked. I tried to explain that it was a good thing that running a back up exposed the corruption before the whole drive was lost, but he just saw it as "you forced me to back up my hard drive and now it's broken." <sigh>
--
Bobby G.

On 3/14/2016 5:36 AM, Robert Green wrote:

With software problems, you can always start by imaging the disk (so, worst case, you can restore it to the same "broken" state from which you started -- without "losing" anything)
Imagine what it's like when you are repairing *hardware*! "Break" anything and there's no way back to "before you put your grubby little mitts on it"!
Desktop PC's are a cakewalk. But, more and more folks prefer laptops. And, sexxy *slim* laptops, at that! All sorts of "blind hardware", snap-together plastic pieces, etc. Way too easy to break something "innocently". And, you can't just glue it back together...
[ToughBooks being a pleasant exception]
The same is doubly true of smart phones, PMP's, LCD monitors, tablets, etc.
Makes taking on such a repair a very stressful exercise!
<stuff snipped>

I got a kit with a spudger (I think) assortment to open cases. Before attempting anything like opening a tablet or a phone, I look for teardown videos on YouTube. It's amazing how much time and how many broken clips they've saved me. I can't remember what it was now but I declined to buy something because the teardown video made it clear that was a one-way process.
--
Bobby G.

On 03/16/2016 10:45 AM, Robert Green wrote:
[snip]

I used YouTube when I needed to open my iMac. I was really surprised at WHERE they hid those screws.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/