Compressor Air Regulator

Not exactly home repair but many of you have air compressors.

I'm fixing up an old Sears compressor and the regulator is broken. I got a "Campbell Hausfeld 3/8" air regulator" at Tractor supply. It had already been open but it was the only one in stock. Tried it and it didn't work. Adjust it either way and it always put out full air pressure.

Stopped at Lows and got another one, looks identical but with the "Kobalt" name. This one seemed OK, then it started leaking. Adjusting it up and down a few times stripped the plastic adjustment knob so now it can't be adjusted even if it didn't leak.

So where do I find a good regulator? Harbor Freights "Industrial Air Filter Regulator Unit Item # 98904 Manufacturer: Central Pneumatic regulator" isn't rated very high.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

=3D=3D Check your local "yellow pages" for air compressors or "air equipment". I just went to my local farm supply and picked one up for $18...made in Taiwan. Haven't installed it yet but looks as good as the original. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

"Tony Miklos" wrote

Or a good industrial supply house

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Auto body supply stores will carry the good stuff, usually Milton, Devillbis, and similar. Pay a little more and get something that works. That said, I do have several regulators from Harbor Freight, and so far they work just fine. From the troubles you are having it seems you are pretty rough with your installation methods. Try to use a little finesse and remember not to over tighten air fittings; use a sealant like Permatex #3 on them instead.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Good idea, I'll look at an auto body supply store, there is one not far away. If not I'll try McMaster.

I don't think my installation methods have damaged the regulators. I believe the first one was broken, returned, and put back on the shelf. Like I said, the package was opened and it looked like a return.

The second one, I don't see how I could have done anything to make it leak around the adjustment knob. As far as the stripped plastic adjustment knob, well I suppose that could have been me, but If I broke it that easy in 5 minutes, it wasn't going to last long anyway. If it didn't leak, (the leak went away then returned), I was ready to put a metal spigot knob with a square hole on it and get rid of the plastic crap.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I installed a Milton a few days ago and it's been working like a charm. I did buy it at a local auto body store. It has some plastic, but nothing like the Cambell Hausfeld junk. Price was fair also, the CH was about $30 and the Milton was about $50. Well worth every penny of the price difference.

Reply to
Tony Miklos