Compression stems for 2 handle tub/shower...one brand fits all?

Hi:
I have a Kohler 2 handle tub/shower, and the hot water handle is stuck. Thus I will need to replace the compression stem. Doing a search on the Home Depot online catalog under Kohler stems, I see a variety available. Will any Kohler compression stem work, or does the stem have to be an exact replacement?
Thx
Doe John wrote:

They (like all the other mfr's) made dozens of different designs. You have to have an exact match for the faucet model.
http://www.danco.com /
Better, take the stem to a good plumbing supply house; they will match it on the spot.
Jim
<< I have a Kohler 2 handle tub/shower, and the hot water handle is stuck. Thus I will need to replace the compression stem. >>
Call Kohler Customer Service and get a parts list for the faucet set. They can supply almost anything you need for pretty nominal prices. Good luck.
Joe
On 20 Dec 2003 13:54:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

I think the problem may just be no heatproof grease lubricating the bonnet nut/ stem assembly. This morning, before I was going to head off to Home Depot, I removed the stem/nut from the wall, used a hammer to pound the stem through the nut, put it back in, and now the handle turns. i wonder if it is just the absence of lubrication?