composting gutter debris

I just cleaned the gutters of the house we bought last year, and there was ~1" of a sandy dirty debris in the bottom of the gutters. It looked like some dirt mixed with the sandy/pebbly offal from the roof's shingles.

I'm thinking this might be very good to add to the composting bin, or very bad. Anyone have experience doing this, or know if this stuff might contain something that would be harmful either to the bacteria breaking down the compost or to the vegetable garden once we add it there?

Reply to
Kyle

Sure you can add it. There is *some* asphalt/cinders in it that won't compost, but maybe you can separate that out? I usually throw gutter debris across the grass.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's great to add, the granules help to keep the soil from compacting and the debris from leaves and seed pods is good compost

Reply to
hrhofmann