composite roof material that resemble cedar shakes?

Is there any composite roof material that resemble cedar shakes but is proven to be more durable?
It's time to replace the roof, and I would like to use better material than was available 20 years ago. However, the home owners association may frown on anything that looks different than cedar shakes (most other home owners replaced their roof with cedar shakes in the past 2 years).
Peter wrote:>Is there any composite roof material that resemble cedar shakes but is

that resembled shakes. Check with them. But it was expensive, IMO. Tom Work at your leisure!

i saw a product on some show (this old house?) that looked like shakes, but was a concrete type of material. really heavy and expensive iirc. your roof supports may not be enough for it.

I put on Gerard roof that looks like tile. A couple neighbors put on their metal shingles that look like shake. Very pleased. After several years they still look like new. Cost is about the same as cedar.
http://www.gerardusa.com
If the pitch is steep, is it still possible to walk on the roof with metal shingles? For instance, how do you make repairs or clean the upper gutters?

I really don't know how steep would be a problem. I get on mine occasionally as I live in the west and have an evaporative cooler that needs service. The panels are hung on 2x2s parallel to the roof line. So if you put your weight there nothing will happen. They don't really bend if you step in the wrong place. They pop a bit. It is quite easy to just pull out a couple nails and pop them back into place with a nail bar.
I notice at their site that they now have something they put under the steel in areas that you might want to walk.