Composite decking: Trex or WeatherBest?

We're going to have a deck built this spring, and want a low-maintenance deck that looks decent. Our local lumberyard and local contractors seem to recommend Trex or WeatherBest composite decking -- the newer kind that has the woodgrain design.

Which brand would you recommend -- or is there a different, better brand you'd recommend? One contractor said to avoid the Trex because mold and mildrew grows on it (we live in Minnesota) and it needs to be cleaned 2-3x a year. I'm not sure if he was only talking about Trex's newer wood-grain decking attracting mold/mildew or all of Trex's decking products.

I'm also concerned about fading because if I wanted the deck to end up turning a light gray, I might as well use cheaper pressure-treated lumber for the decking.

Seems like both composite products say they will fade, but because the inside of the WeatherBest decking is the same darker color as the outside, I'm guessing it won't fade as much as the Trex, which has a darker outer coloring and a lighter inside color. Which product will fade less, and are there any compositie products that don't fade at all?

And because the WeatherBest is the same color throughout, I'm guessing it doesn't show scratches as much ... is that correct?

Any advice or suggestions as to which composite decking you'd recommend would be appreciated -- especially from those who have decks made from either of these two products. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Reply to
Dave K.

If your deck as my wood deck needs to be cleaned as also my plastic furniture gets mold , then why wouldnt your new maintenance free deck need to be cleaned also ? What do you do with maintenance free decks after they fade a little and some damage occurs, you cant match the replacement . For me a deck is to be used I would not be the type to "take care" of it. I have large plants that always mold underneath. It also depends on lifestyle and location. I think you will be cleaning your Plastic deck more often if it now needs it 3 times a year. And when you invite neighbors for a party, well cigarettes drop and burn. Wood can be refinished and color changed, as I will this year do my 3rd change of color. I like wood, no worry.

Reply to
m Ransley

Penofin has a relatively new product that I like for Trex and similar materials called Knotwood. It's great for an initial finishing and for refinishing faded composite materials.

If your deck as my wood deck needs to be cleaned as also my plastic

Reply to
RB

You might also look for a product called Fiberon. I used it on my front porch last year and replaced my old rear deck this year using the same material.

Reply to
Ed Coyne