Complexity of dyes in kitchen cabinets

arched transom over that door?"

------------------------------------- As my fraternity brother, who headed the control systems operation of a major systems integrator defined it, "Change in scope".

Translation:

At least a $25K upgrade to the contract, and this was Richard Nixon time frame.

Go to be at least $40K-$50K today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It depends on what the project is. In a lot of situations it almost doesn't matter how much you'd charge as you're going to take a hit anyway. If you highball the estimate to make them go away, they'll whine to everybody they know that you're overpriced. If you highball them and they still go for it, they'll fight you every step of the way, make what should be enjoyable into a nightmare, and at the end they'll still bad mouth you to everyone they know.

Best thing to do is to politely beg out of giving them an estimate at all, citing job backlog, "our company isn't a good fit for your sort of project" or some such, and then refer them to your competition. ;)

RicodJour

Depends on the fan. I installed a Casablanca fan using existing wiring, as per the instructions. 3 wires. Nothing unusual.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Does code specify red/black/white+ground to ceiling fixtures? It will change if it is a fan or a fan/light combo.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You can "depends" the crap out of this hypothetical until you're satisfied that someone is ripping off someone else. Bottom line: all things considered, $350 for the change isn't unreasonable at all.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's usually my Plan A. In the specific cases which jogged my memory enough to bring up this scenario.... I was the competition who got referred. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Ouch! At least it means that the competition is looking to mess you up - that's a good thing. ;)

There must be PITA people that get passed around like that from contractor to contractor. I wonder what their cocktail party conversation's are like...

"I can't get a price from a single contractor in this town! They're all such pains! Why I could tell you stories about..." "...oh, look. They brought out some shrimp. I'll talk to you later! {zip!}"

RicodJour

I use the term "competition" loosely, only because I'm not really in competition with anyone. I have the luxury, as a self-unemployed musician, of taking or leaving woodworking jobs.

What happens is that those cocktail party people to which you referred, are music producers and such and since I'm in those circles, people find out I do woodworking, too, so I get calls. Then they find out how anal.... um, meticulous... I am and get called again and referred. With the demand and meticulousness comes a hefty price tag, however. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

't be fun listening to you operate a roofing nailer.....

Reply to
Robatoy

Look man... sometimes I have to turn the radio off if the music's not "in time" with whatever woodworking activity I'm doing. Hammering or nail guns are pretty easy to subdivide into whatever time signature and tempo a song is in.

But hand sanding can get weird. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Very accurate and well presented point!

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hey, I'm a musician too, and Lew say's I'm--uh, meticulous, maybe I can get in on some of that! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

mmmmm weird you sayyyyy

Put on some hoofer music from an Astair movie. Throw some sand on the floor, and get your hands and feet shuffling away.. here's a good sanding song: (btw... you will never be able to hear this song again without thinking of this video....)

For a lot of sanding there's always this one...( try to make it to the end..)

Robatoy

I love all those video mash-ups!

Right on... looks like a very young Chick Webb on the drums.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Then you are talking some where under $175 per light box. The extra ceiling fans include bracing and additional wiring for the fan and light to run separately.

Reply to
Leon

Just like the description for the clip says, that IS insane! They just don't play (or dance!) like that any more.

The clip is from 1943 and Chick died in 1939. J.C. Heard was Calloway's drummer at the time of this performance.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Thank you, sir. I was wondering, because I don't remember ever seeing Webb with a mustache.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You're talking about materials. The OP was talking about ADMINISTRATIVE FEES.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't know about the cost of $750 but I can envision a dye change costing extra money. At the very least, it means twice the amount of spray booth and spray gun clean up effort. It might also mean ordering and possibly another trip to the supplier for different dye. Might be the same gun being used for the job, so it would have to be thoroughly cleaned for a different dye. As you said, there's the administrative cost, new paperwork, ecetera.

Reply to
Upscale

And you tried to change it to a spec - which would have been an initial spec. The response above is perfectly appropriate to a change in a spec. I think you're wandering off the discussion at hand - and going in circles.

Reply to
Mike Marlow