Comparison of heating fuel prices

Prices per MM BTU range from $11.36 for a Masonry heater* to $33.21 for an electric heat pump.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/energy-efficient/is-wood-the-best-renewable-fuel-for-heating?click=main_sr
The best non-weird heating source is Natural Gas at $13.52 per MM BTU.
--------- * A "Masonry heater" is one in which the hot exhaust gases from a wood-burning fire meander through your masonry walls, capturing the otherwise wasted heat before it leaves the chimney.

My favorite part is the hippie that rides the bus and gets up at 4AM to haul more wood into his stove. They say that he spends $1200 a year on wood and he's saving $1,000 a year? WTF? He lives in Virginia. I live in NJ, have nat gas, and it doesn't cost me $1200 for heat for a 3100 sq ft house. Also, the Popular Mechanics chart of fuel cost shows that using a wood stove costs about the same as natural gas or propane.
They also made a big mistake, which they corrected at the end. The line for "electric heat pump" is actually "electric heat". And oddly there is no info for an actual heat pump system.

You have to take into account the relative efficiency of the appliance that uses it too.
The latter principle you mention sounds extremely dodgy.

No shit, Sherlock...... Seems the PM article did exactly that.

May have been useful in 2011 when written, but you won't find fuel oil at 2.65 today.