Compare Garage Door opener

My 16 year old 1/2 HP Sears Craftsman stopped working a few weeks ago. Only a faint click and slight movement when I pressed the button. I would like to hear from anyone who has or have used Sears Craftsman in he past.
- What is the average life span for this model?
- Any comment on Genie and or Cameron in comparison to Craftsman?
Thanks, pac
PacKat wrote:

i got a 30 yr old craftsman garage door opener.. i fixed it many times, even had to make parts for it as they were not available anymore.. had to solder the board when the light would not work as the solder joint melted the solder out... had to cut the shaft down when a washer with teeth on it chewed up the shaft where it attaches to the opener(screw drive).. take the remote out and replace some parts in it as they no longer manufacturer the model i have and dont make them on that frequency anylonger.. if i could not do all this then i would have to buy a new one.... but as long as it works OK i will be working on it for the next 30 yrs.

Some openers easily last for more then 20 years, but it becomes a matter of how much does it cost compared to how much to replace. Plus the newer openers have alot more safety feature then older ones.
Your problem sounds like a logic board issue & the click you here is probably from the light relay latching on. If the gear was stripped (which is quite common) you would here the motor running but the cahin not moving.
I have a biased opinion, but have not been a Genie fan for years. They are not the same opener that they use to be (In the late 70's & early 80's I installed around 100 Genies a month). I personally have never heard of or seen a Cameron opener & don't know what it is. It's biased but the professional series openers from dealers are your better choice.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
My 15 yr. old + Craftsman 1/2 HP unit, chain drive, quit working today (luckily after my wife left for work). I opened the cover to find the drive gears stripped. A trip to Sears with the model #, dimensions, etc. convinced me that a whole new unit, with the newer safety features (electric eyes, auto reverse ...) as well as more lighting was worth the $ and effort.
I left Sears at 11:30 am, dismantled the old unit, ate a quick lunch, and dove in. By 3:15 pm I had the new one working, including running the wires to the eyes and switching out the main control pad. I'll leave the outside remote unit for spring - its 15 F and snowing here. Not a bad days investment.