Compact fluorescent lights on rheostats

Does anyone if there is a particular rheostat that will dim CFLs? Or, can CFL be dimmed at all. This seems to be a big hurdle if the CFL industry wants wide spread acceptance of the newer light technology.

Reply to
rco

If you buy one with a dimming ballast, it will work with a dimmer

Reply to
RBM

Wow! I hadn't seen a rheostat since 1966, on a stage installed in the 40's. Variacs, then SCRs and Triacs long replaced them. They did make great heaters ;-)

Now was that a wirewound or carbon pile rheo?

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Wow! I hadn't seen a rheostat since 1966, on a stage installed in the 40's. Variacs, then SCRs and Triacs long replaced them. They did make great heaters ;-)

Now was that a wirewound or carbon pile rheo?

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

You can not use ANY type of dimmer on ANY florescent light. You'll either burn out the CFL or burn hour house down.

CFLs are the latest technology, but they will soon be replaced by something new, such as LED lights. If you really want to save electricity, burn candles, and candles can be dimmed by blowing out several of them, and brightened by lighting more of them.

Reply to
businessman

There are CFLs that will dim and are labeled as such. They are more expensive and have limited dimming...say from bright, down a couple notches. (In wattage terms, 60W down to 40W, then abruptly OFF)

Reply to
pheeh.zero

The same thing that can be accomplished by having more than one CFL.

I have a 3-way CFL, which works in a normal 3-way (3 contact) socket. The package says 12/19/28W (30/70/100W equivalent).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd