Compact Fluorescent Lamps Burn Out Faster Than Expected, Limiting Energy Savings in California's Efficiency Program

Page 3 of 3

I wanted to add, I have maybe 3 in the house I leave on all the time. Partly for my kittys, and partly, it saves flicking the switch.
My LED's inside are on all the time, and are attached to a battery backup. There are some in bathroom and kitchen under cabinet. Will add some more when I finish basement.
zek wrote:

Hi,
I bought half dozen LED bulbs a year ago for testing. One inside garage, one outside on a patio light pole, one in my study/ One outside did not last long, a few moonths, one in the garage there after. 3rd one is still working. In our area street lights in new neighborhood is all LED lighting some with solar panel.

I count 14 I have around the house. I run the interiors at 50-100 milliwatt and they will last a looong time. I'm pushing at 3 watts two to spot my trees. People will start to get smart and light only the area they want lit. With lens is easy. Its not usually necessary to light the whole room.
<SNIP previously quoted material>

For cats, just get a few of those low power green or blue LED nightlights. Dark-adapted people can see their way around with those, and cats have much better night vision than people have.

Don Klipstein wrote:

Right. Cats have night-vision six times more sensitive than humans (or dogs). Cats have a membrane at the back of the eye (the Tapetum) that reflects light back for the eye to get a second go at detecting it. Other animals have this too, most notably deer. This membrane is why a cat's face illuminated by a flashlight in the dark looks like two headlights (or why the same thing occurs with a spotlighted deer).
Cats also see in color (dogs in black and white).
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:17:40 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

You can tell (they can see better), when the cat stops in front of you and is surprised that it gets run over. Of course, the fact that the cat in question is all black, doesn't help.

Don't need one. LEDs ARE AC to DC converters. The problem is dimming them cheaply.

LEDs *ARE* diodes. Another diode in series does nothing except waste power. A diode bridge around them, making it full-wave DC, is a good idea, however.

I looked at the specs (more digging to do), but it's *not* cheap ($2 in reels of 2K from DigiKey, so perhaps $1.50 in the real world). All the crap that goes around it is another buck, perhaps. Uplift that to retail and it's more like $5-$10.
It also dumps 10-20% as heat. CFLs already run hot, so...
It is quite interesting, though. Thanks.

Converting AC to DC costs more like 50 cents than $100.
For that matter, in the usual screw-base CFLs, the with-the-bulb electronic ballast starts with changing the AC to DC for the electronics to work with. The electronic workings even changes the DC back to AC of a higher frequency - generally, fluorescents have one end getting starved of mercury if forced to work for long on DC. There is even a bit of history of some fluorescent fixtures made to use where available power of suitable voltage was DC ande not AC - the ballasting was different and the switch had a 4-pushes-per-full-switch-cycle design to reverse polarity of DC applied to the fluorescent bulb every time it was switched on.