compact fluorescent in power limited fixtures

I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that has a 60-watt max. light socket. The globe that goes over the socket is long gone. A 60 watt bulb hardly provides enough light. Can I put in a 55 watt cfl that is equivalent to 150 watts? I also read that the fan's vibration can shorten the life of the bulb. Comment? tia. snipped-for-privacy@muderick.com

Reply to
Mike Muderick

I have no solid information but I have read that CF are recommended for areas where vibration may be a problem. I put some in my garage door openers and now a year later they are still going strong.

You should be able to use a CF there, but be sure the ones are are using are OK for the base up, base down bases sideways or whatever position it will be in when in use. You may see it on the packaging or sometimes only one the lamp base.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sure you can, but if the fan is really vibrating, might be time to just replace the whole thing. But if you're not ready to do that just yet, go ahead and screw in the bulb. I understand it's a fairly easy job, though rumor has it that it sometimes takes multitudes to complete the task :)

Reply to
Sev

we put in all sizes up to 42 watt compact flourescents in uncovered fixtures and fans. we have experienced early burnout wherever even partial covering of the ventilation slots occurs, such as: glass ceiling fan light bulp open covers; bathroom vanity where metal cuff encloses bulb bases; porch lights outdoors but under roof.

Reply to
buffalobill

we put up to 5 compact flourescents into our multi-bulb ceiling fans.

Reply to
buffalobill

Try getting a camcorder with a lower recording light level, no way you need a 150 watts in the bedroom......

Reply to
yourname