Compact Floursescent Blubs

I am replacing some of my incandescents with CFB's and they seem OK. Some brands are better than others.
Now for safety. When a light fixture is rated for 60 watts, I suppose a 27 watt (100 watt) equivilent CFB is OK. Balance of the lamp is not an issue.
What about using a CFB upsidedown in one of those ceramic bulb lamps on the ceiling in the basement or attic?
I replaces some of my lights with Cf. I too found some brands better than others, I got a really cheap brand and it was on the borderline of being acceptable. It says on the boxes that you can use them upside down, but if you do so you can expect reduced life from the bulb. I guess it has something to do with heat? I also have used 100 and 150 watt equivelants in a 60 watt fixture and i havent found any heat issues yet.

Almost all my bulbs are compact fluorescents. Most of them are "upside down". I've had no trouble with this configuration. The two situations I've heard of that can dramatically shorten bulb life are:(1) High wattage bulbs in enclosed fixtures, (2) bulb being usually lit for short time.

I've tried several brands of CFB upside down in one of those fixtures. Doesn't last work diddly. Heat buildup apparently kills the ballast. CFB's last quite well when pointed upwards or sideways though. I prefer the GE CFB's, they seem to have the best light quality, rated life, and energy usage per given number of lumens of the bunch, especially the multi-tube (as vs. swirl) ones.
--
Eric Lee Green mailto: snipped-for-privacy@badtux.org

Why use a 27 watt CFB to replace a 60 watt bulb? Get a 14 watt CFB instead and save even MORE money. I've replaced practically all of my bulbs with CFB's and haven't had ANY problems in any fixture.....sideways, upside down, etc. Go save some money!

27
issue.
the
I just spent a few nights in a large hotel.
All of their hall lights ( 100+ per floor ) were CFB's.
The lamps were upside-down, in recessed "cans",
I don't know what brand they used... but I didn't see any burned-out units.
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:36:02 -0400, "New & Improved - N/F John"

<rj>

I stayed at a hotel that had special made CF fixtures, used the Philips bulb.
our church recently added-on
i noticed that most of the lighting is flour. in recessed cans
the bulb does not have a standard socket screw-in, but the light is very bright and very
i just installed 8 cans in our kitchen.. and put in par38 halogens. great light, but the air temp is going to be +5 over the other rooms
says...

I had one on my porch (under cover, but outside) for 8 years before it finally gave up. It ran an average of 10 hours a day, 365 days a year. That's roughly 30,000 hours. Not bad.
Rick