Compact Flourescent and a Wall Switch Timer?

I have a streetlight with a CFL in it, and I want to put it on a timer. I bought an Intermatic EJ500CL, and it specifically says NOT to use it with starter, compact flourescent or other electronic ballasts. oops. So what do I do? I don't want to put an incandescent lamp out there because I'll have to change it constantly, and its a pain in the ass. Is there a light switch wall timer that can be used with CFLs? It can be used with class "P" ballast. I am in north america, in case they make stuff for 220 that isn't available for 110.

Leviton makes one. Model #6124H-W. It costs around 50 bucks, but will work with any light fixture. It requires a neutral. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item47&section138

Um...
what's a neutral?

Um...
what's a neutral?
The white wire. Some switch boxes only have the hot (black wires) in them as those are the only wires that connect to a normal switch. Other boxes have both the black and the white whire. A timer or remote switch that works with a CF bulb requires that you have the white wire in the box as it requires a connection to both the black and the white wire.
--
Peace,
BobJ

I don't think I have that. Last time I replaced a switch there there were only two red wires. The house was built in 1975.
Ok then... since it is impossible for to save energe... do they still make ultra long life incandescents? I remember in the 90's they made 100 year bulbs... they still around?
I believe the EJ 351C will work

<<and it specifically says NOT to use it with starter, compact flourescent or other electronic ballasts. >>
Does it say why?
I have a compact fluorescent in a light attached to a motion sensor, and it works fine.
Edward,

Check www.smarthome.com
They have lots of different switches and timers. I'm sure something there would do what you need.
Another option might be to install an X-10 socket out at the streetlight, then use an X-10 control timer to turn it on and off when needed.
Anthony

I have a CFL controlled by an Intermatic EI220. This timer can be set for 1,2,4,or 8 hours or to stay on. It does require a neutral connection.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

any idea whatthe model number is?
I saw a LED traffic light recently that only about 1/2 of the red was out. Boy that looked wierd.
Right after that in a bad storm I saw a hanging light assembly twirling around, supported ONLY by its wire:( I called 911 from my cell, by the time I pased back that way a couple hours later it was gone.
Imagine that crashing thru your windshield:(
many years ago I had JUST got my first cell phone, actually it was a big box with a seperate handset mounted in car. I noticed a broken traffic light and didnt bother reporting it...... next night a lady died there because of that broken signal.
please report obvious hazards
I have 3 of these in my house for about 5 years:
http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=prod&pid 3&did=3&cidC&sid2
Latest models have an improved battery compartment which was a problem on the ones I own.

Does that one support CFLs?