Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness, since they are the same nail size?

This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.

This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never understood why.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Look up "box nail" and "common nail" . Or you could just take my word that usually coated sinkers are box nails , which are smaller in diameter than common nails . Can you guess what they use box nails for ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

To attach electrical BOXes to studs!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Not the same size. 16d refers to length, nothing to do with thickness. Just as 2" screw come in different thicknesses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

While I'm familiar with "box nails", I have always heard these referred to as "SINKERS". They do the job, but for framing of wall and roof construction, the common nails are stronger. Yet, I have never seen common nails (same thickness) sold with that coating. I wonder why?

You are right about the length though....

Reply to
Paintedcow