Common nails are thicker than the same size Coated Nails (Sinkers)

If I buy a box of 16d common nails, they are thicker than a box of 16d coated nails, (AKA "sinkers"). Shouldn't they be the same thickness, since they are the same nail size?
This is true for all nail sizes. I only used the 16d as an example.
This is nothing new. I've noticed this for many years, bu never understood why.....
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Look up "box nail" and "common nail" . Or you could just take my word that usually coated sinkers are box nails , which are smaller in diameter than common nails . Can you guess what they use box nails for ?
--
Snag

To attach electrical BOXes to studs!!!
On 9/28/2016 2:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Not the same size. 16d refers to length, nothing to do with thickness. Just as 2" screw come in different thicknesses.

While I'm familiar with "box nails", I have always heard these referred to as "SINKERS". They do the job, but for framing of wall and roof construction, the common nails are stronger. Yet, I have never seen common nails (same thickness) sold with that coating. I wonder why?
You are right about the length though....