commode occasionally runs already replaced flapper still doing it

Page 1 of 2
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be going bad? Thanks.
On 11/21/15 8:39 AM, Al roarke wrote:

Is it possible the float valve is set too high, and water is running into the overflow pipe ?
Did you check the rim of the opening the flapper sets on for a defects ?
On 11/21/2015 09:11 AM, Retired wrote:

No, in fact I just set it a bit lower.

I'll check that next, thanks.
On 11/21/2015 09:11 AM, Retired wrote:

Ok, just checked it. A little hard to see since it's black PVC, but upon looking with flashlight it seems fine. I ran my finger around it and felt smooth all the way.
Retired wrote:

You still fiddle with that? I'd replace the fill valve as well. I had always good luck with Korky brand. Logic tells if flapper does not fix the problem, next thing to try is new fill valve.
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 7:39:45 AM UTC-6, Al roarke wrote:

The top seal can be replaced on a Fluidmaster...something like a quarter turn, after you remove the black cap. You may even find it dirty...
bob_villain submitted this idea :

Did you know that FrozenNorth was a net cop?
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:39:41 -0500

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode. They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved very low flow commode. If you don't in about a week it will explode.
burfordTjustice wrote:

I heard yours exploded, right?, LOL!
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:00:05 -0700

I have nothing here approved by the EPA. They and them that follow them are limp wristed types all.
Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

That is because of all the weight of the BS it had to support and wasn't up to the job of holding him and his "friend" at the same time. He should be using the hopper at the cement plant...
--
Tekkie

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 10:17:40 -0500, burfordTjustice

Unless it's overflowing into the overflow tube, no. If the valve is leaking and the flapper is sealing, the tank would be overflowing.
I had no trouble getting flappers for my toilets when I first lived h here, but the hardware store I went to closed, and no place else sold the model I used. Then I was at a custodial supply house that I guess really was wholesale (because it was so cheap), and required a letterhead statement from a business to shop there.
The flappers, same name brand, were about a dollar a piece (Isn't that cheap?) so I bought 24 of them!
The first one worked fine, but the next one took 4 months to seat right. I would take the lid off and use a stick to push it into the pipe, and then it would seal until the next time I flushed the toilet. After the 4 months, it's been working fine for years.
I haven't needed a third until now, and I'm waiting to see if it will be perfect like the first one or the same way.

You can prevent this by planting a rose bush in the toilet.

And you will FERTILIZE it daily :)
Micky has brought this to us :

btj would enjoy the thorns in his booty... :D
I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

On 11/24/15 9:43 AM, Al roarke wrote:

Perhaps if you quit top-posting, the Toilet Gods would be appeased and stop your toilet from leaking...
--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.
Travis Bickle wrote:

Amen
On 11/24/2015 02:55 PM, njoracle wrote:

Ameen
On 11/24/2015 7:10 PM, Muhammad Dihyah wrote:

Ameeen
On 11/24/2015 04:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

آمين