Commercial range in residence, and other appliances

recently
those
I solved that problem a year ago by getting a Kamado ceramic barbecue (kamado.com, if you want to look at them). Mine has a removable gas option which I really only use for starting the charcoal, but I can get this critter up to well over 700 degrees to quickly sear a steak. I also use it for cooking that "monster turkey" ( I did a 20 lb bird last Thanksgiving) and most anything else you can put in an oven. I've avoided breads and pizza so far (and who wants to eat smoke flavored cookies?) but any meats or foods that you would either grill, bake, broil, roast or smoke are fair game. I can also hold the temp at 200 degrees for an indefinite period of time, sometimes upwards of 20-24 hours, for the occasional carolina-style pulled pork or beef brisket.
I've also got a twin burner outdoor gas stove, I forget the burner output but it's something like 30,000 btu per burner. I use that with a wok ring for stirfry and for really large pots that the kitchen stove can't handle.
JonE

Unusual (and expensive!). Thanks...
Friend went thru trying to use a commercial cooktop (gas) in the house he was building. Particularly, he want at least one high BTU burner. Two things I recall from his story was it required a larger gas feed, which required additional hassles on the permit (and probably other aspects), and a overhead fire extinguisher. All in all, he decided the extra hassle and cost weren't worth it. He found a Thermador (I think) cooktop that has a high BTU burner and works reasonably well apparently. It would seem that they have a lot more choices in the "semi-pro" appliance lines now days than back then ('bout 15 years ago) so you may want to consider "compromising" at that (semi-pro) level rather than going to commercial stuff.
FWIW, get an electric oven(s) and gas cooktop. Electric ovens achieve a more even level of heat (though gas may nowdays be comparable?).
Renata
On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:58:43 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"