Combating new kitchen smells?

OK - here's one for you all: We just had our kitchen remodeled and except for the tile floor everything was new and top quality. That's walls, all wood cabinets, granite counters, all SS appliances, new plumbing (abs), etc. Works great, looks great.

Problem is that there are so many industrial smells its driving us crazy. Everything from the finish on the cabinets to the interior finishes to the abs aroma to the silicone used to seal all the granite.

I know this supposedly "comes with the territory" but if anyone has hastened the elimination of these odors please advise what you did?

This is not complaining but more of wishful thinking. Anyone???

Thanks

Reply to
BobMCT

Sounds like someone is way too sensitive.

Open a window. You'll probably get through this.

Reply to
Dan Espen

After putting in new mattress in bedroom I had to run air cleaner with charcoal filter. Ozone would just be a short fix, but may introduce other odors. This is only done with vacant kitchen, sealed off.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Another idea. Heat up the kitchen. 90 degrees ? For a few hours, then vent.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Oh, no, he's not!!! Don't patronize! I wish more people would wake up to the all the chemical s---t that's being peddled to us in furniture, textiles, even children's clothes!!

People are driven to pay more for "organic" products because they can be made seriously ill by these toxic odors!! Especially important for infants and children whose breathing machinery is still very susceptible.

My house stuff is so old it's from an era before everything was saturated with chemicals. But if I have to replace, I'm sure going to check it out before I let it in the house, even though I am probably not as sensitive as Bob.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi, Needs time for all the chemical gas evaporate and dry out. Venting might help.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sorry, I seem to remember that in the 50s, 60s, 70s, everyone's parents smoked and we got gassed every day, all day and never said a word about it.

Lots of us are still alive too.

Hey, don't patronize Bob.

:)

Reply to
Dan Espen

I'm thinking that ventilation is the answer, and a couple fans. Sounds like lots of vapors coming out of the finish, or the manufacture. It can be a real problem, for sure. Pump all that organic vapor outdoors, and it should lighten up after a while.

. Christ>> Sounds like someone is way too sensitive.

people would wake up to the all the chemical s---t that's being peddled to us in furniture, textiles, even children's clothes!!

because they can be made seriously ill by these toxic odors!! Especially important for infants and children whose breathing machinery is still very susceptible.

everything was saturated with chemicals. But if I have to replace, I'm sure going to check it out before I let it in the house, even though I am probably not as sensitive as Bob.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I saw where everyone said venting. I agree, but it may help to leave the cabinet doors open too if they are part of the odor source. But you probably knew to do that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  • I worked on a commercial office building renovation several years ago. Everything was new. The company had their own environmental engineers and they required that the building be "Degassed" for two weeks before anyone could occupy the space. The air handlers were run 24 hours a day for two weeks with fresh air coming in from open windows.

I think living with open windows for a while will be the simplest solution for you. The problem will diminish with time.

Reply to
John Grabowski

You go get him my elemental particle friend. I'm one of those hyper sensitive people. It kept me out of the military four decades ago and tobacco smoke is like pepper spray to me. I was born in the middle of the last century when everyone smoked. Mom smoked, Dad smoked, the dog and the cat smoked even the squirrels and the pigeons smoked. The cars of that era had built in tobacco smoke generators that spewed smoke as soon as the windows were rolled up. All sorts of irritants coming out of various products cause my sinuses to slam shut and I can't breathe. I can become asthmatic and will start wheezing like a squeaky toy if I'm exposed to the wrong stuff. I know folks who are more sensitive to pollutants than I am so I have the utmost sympathy for Bob. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thanks to all of you and your suggestions. I know that I am NOT alone now. Open doors and venting will be the way for the forseeable future (or until the snow falls here in NE).

Regarding Dufus' smoking... I think you grew up in the same household as I did. I never smoked and could never stand it. I never thought I would see the day were most public smoking was taboo like it is now.

I remember long trips when I was really young with 4-5 adults in the car with all the windows up and all of them smoking. Looked like Cheech and Chong's car going down the road. I used to curl up on the floor in an attempt to get some breathable air.

Take care all.

Reply to
BobMCT

Bob, U R Mean. I was born in the middle of the last century when tobacco smoke was produced by all adults and even inanimate objects such as automobiles when the windows were rolled up or even the TV sets of the era, especially when The Marlboro Man commercials came on. I'm hyper sensitive to tobacco smoke because of my exposure to it during my childhood and even when I was in the womb. I was grown before I found out that my mother chain smoked while pregnant with me. Environmental pollution both indoors and out has caused me all sorts of breathing problems my whole life. I have a great deal of sympathy for Bob and those people I know who are more sensitive to air pollution than I am. You big meanie! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

CORRECTION!! I HAVE DRAIN BAMAGE!! DAN IS THE BIG MEANIE, NOT BOB!! O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bob, I feel your pain...ful sinuses, it gets me all the time. I've had physicians doubt me when I told them I could tell when the driver of a car in front of me on the interstate was smoking because I could smell it. The most relief I've ever had was when a doctor prescribed a steroid nasal spray for me some years ago. With my present heart disease I don't know if I could ever use that type of nasal spray now. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Dan Espen"

Too many are not for that very reason.

Reply to
NotMe

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:19:22 -0400, BobMCT wrote in Re Combating new kitchen smells?:

Try to rig a small exhaust fan in a window and leave it on all night and all day if that is possible.

Reply to
CRNG

Reply to
RobertMacy

LOL!! Thanks, I enjoyed that. Accurate description of the fauna of the times. I always questioned where that 'car' smoke came from, always thought it was Dad, now I'm wondering...

Reply to
RobertMacy

I BELIEVE YOU! Really a lot of stinkers on the road. They don't even have to be actively smoking, just carrying a lot of residue. What gets me more is when I smell the ketones boiling off an alcoholic while they're driving! The minute I smell THAT, look around for the offender and avoid, avoid, avoid. Especially, if it's a cop car.

Reply to
RobertMacy