Colortime paint turning into cheeze

Page 1 of 3

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart. I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks. I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there something I can do to make the paint's consistency better? Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days here.
Deodiaus wrote:

So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy. Don't ask how I know.

Yes, its latex.

Yes, its latex.
========== You're not particularly intelligent. Where the f*ck did you ever get the idea that you could think latex paint with acetone? There are instructions on the paint containers for a reason.
Deodiaus wrote:

Step #1: throw out your now ruined remaining paint.
Step #2: go back to Wal-mart and buy more
Step #3: if you just *have* to thin the new paint, use water. Yes, the stuff that comes out of a faucet. It wouldn't hurt if you read the instructions on the can too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You've ruined it by adding paint thinner and acetone. Go get more.
h wrote:

It's hard to imagine RUINING paint that came from Walmart, but I guess if you really try.......

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

it. Its latex. It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 07:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus

Too late. It's ruined. It's also illegal to "dump". You need to set the cans out opened, and let them evaporate until solid, and then put in the trash.
On 8/16/2010 8:03 AM Judi Haffner spake thus:

They[1] make stuff you can put into a can of paint to harden it into a gigantic solid lump. I've seen it at Home Despot.
[1] You know, the ones who put lights in refrigerators that go out when you close the door, etc., etc.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Kitty litter or old newspapers work fine. Or just leave the can open for a week in warm weather.
--
aem sends...

Boy, I've heard some dozies before.
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are ya? Mixing a solvent with latex, a water based paint. WTF.?
(Paddy Waggin) wrote:

Be gentle. He's a webtv user. Who the f*ck still uses webtv???

It still qualifies as unsurpassed. "That was a duesie of a story the kid told"!
(Paddy Waggin) wrote:

It still qualifies as unsurpassed. "That was a duesie of a story the kid told"!
========== Right. But look at who the webtv twit addressed his remarks to.
On 8/20/2010 12:49 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I met a guy the other day still using AOL. Through a broad band connection. duh....
--
Steve Barker

Not necessarily:
doozy or doozie (dz) n. pl. doozies Slang Something extraordinary or bizarre: "Among the delicious names taken by, or given to, minor political parties in the United States . . . are these doozies: Quids, Locofocos, Barnburners, Coodies, Hunkies, Bucktails" (Saturday Review).
Further googling reveals:
"Certainly the vehicles were known as Duesies in the 1920s and 1930s. But --as you have discovered-- by the time Fred and August Duesenberg manufactured their first car in 1920, the noun doozy was already well established."
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-doo2.htm
At worst, it appears the poster is guilty only of poor spelling, and maybe choosing webtv. ;)
nb

If someone wanted to produce a reality show that would actually be worthwhile, it would be easy. Load 100 homes with cameras in every room so we could see WTF parents were doing while their kids were butchering their writing assignments (while watching TV). I'd guess the majority would be ignoring their kids.
How hard is it to help kids learn? Answer: Not hard at all. Tedious, maybe, but not hard.