Colorado woman with flammable water fears blast

Not unique in many parts of the country. Here in central Illinois it is common to drill a water well and have methane along with the water. The phenomenon is probably related to coal deposits, so likely any state that has such deposits overlaid with aquifers will see methane in the water. We have a few fortunate locations that have no need for the commercial product, but some variability in others necessitates a propane or commercial NG backup. For the lady in Colorado, she merely needs to keep her faucets closed. That works fine here.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

FORT LUPTON, Colo. (AP) ? A woman said she lives in constant fear and is terrified her home could blow up because of natural gas that has managed to seep into her water supply. Amee Ellsworth can turn on a faucet in her kitchen or bathroom, flick a lighter and watch flames shoot up from the sink. And Ellsworth said she's afraid she or her neighbors are at imminent risk of an explosion.

Dave Neslin from the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission said the gas is likely coming from a leaking well, but there are eight wells located within a half-mile of Ellsworth's home. The wells are owned by two different energy companies.

Ellsworth said she's scheduled to meet Friday with officials from Anadarko Petroleum Corp. and Noble Energy Inc.

metspitzer

Wonder if she has well water, herself?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Clot

Has to be a well -- unless she has porous pipes or the city managers are drunk.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh dear, I should not have, but it made me chuckle.

Reply to
Clot

It's believable. Having worked with enough switches, they are far more likely to spark when you turn something off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:40:05 -0500, against all advice, something compelled metspitzer , to say:

That sounds kind of cool.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Reminds me of a gas leak story I have heard repeated. Who knows if it is true, but here goes.

A couple smelled gas so they went into the next room to investigate. The woman turned the light on. The husband said.....you are not supposed to turn a light on during a gas leak. When he switched it off the spark ignited the gas.

Reply to
metspitzer

Natural gas can be very dangerous.

TDD