Colorado woman with flammable water fears blast

FORT LUPTON, Colo. (AP) A woman said she lives in constant fear and is terrified her home could blow up because of natural gas that has managed to seep into her water supply. Amee Ellsworth can turn on a faucet in her kitchen or bathroom, flick a lighter and watch flames shoot up from the sink. And Ellsworth said she's afraid she or her neighbors are at imminent risk of an explosion.
Dave Neslin from the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission said the gas is likely coming from a leaking well, but there are eight wells located within a half-mile of Ellsworth's home. The wells are owned by two different energy companies.
Ellsworth said she's scheduled to meet Friday with officials from Anadarko Petroleum Corp. and Noble Energy Inc.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0cTBosqL6maTlUntzkdvCNAHHxwD971B5GG1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not unique in many parts of the country. Here in central Illinois it is common to drill a water well and have methane along with the water. The phenomenon is probably related to coal deposits, so likely any state that has such deposits overlaid with aquifers will see methane in the water. We have a few fortunate locations that have no need for the commercial product, but some variability in others necessitates a propane or commercial NG backup. For the lady in Colorado, she merely needs to keep her faucets closed. That works fine here.
Joe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wonder if she has well water, herself?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Has to be a well -- unless she has porous pipes or the city managers are drunk.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0cTBosqL6maTlUntzkdvCNAHHxwD971B5GG1 http://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech/caseabbeystead84.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

is true, but here goes.
A couple smelled gas so they went into the next room to investigate. The woman turned the light on. The husband said.....you are not supposed to turn a light on during a gas leak. When he switched it off the spark ignited the gas.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

Oh dear, I should not have, but it made me chuckle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's believable. Having worked with enough switches, they are far more likely to spark when you turn something off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:40:05 -0500, against all advice, something

That sounds kind of cool.
--

Real men don\'t text.



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
metspitzer wrote:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0cTBosqL6maTlUntzkdvCNAHHxwD971B5GG1
Natural gas can be very dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEbvDl7rhgg

TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.