Coleman lantern

Page 2 of 2

The Coleman fuel or camp fuel from Walmart, is definitely NOT high octane. Because the Amoco white gas was touted as high octane, I decided to use some camp fuel in my generator. BAD IDEA!
The generator started OK, but then began jumping around on the ground. Apparently the "octane" in high octane serves to slow down combustion. Low octane fuel tends to explode rather than burn. I have since read about chunks of spark plug ceramic being broken off by the explosions, and scoring cylinders. I was lucky my generator was not damaged.
Fred

The Coleman fuel that is being called 'white gas' is a totally different item than the Amoco 'white gas' of years ago. They are not even close to being the same thing.
On 4/2/2016 2:21 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

There are wick type lanterns, which do use kerosene or ultra pure.
The other kind has a generator, and bag style mantles. And, those take Coleman, white gas, and some take unleaded. Some of the older ones, unleaded clogs the generator. So, I've read. I can't explain it any more than that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 04/01/2016 04:28 PM, notbob wrote:

Get a BriteLyt/Petromax USA 500CP/XL Pressure Lantern and then burn most any fuel though I prefer kerosene in mine.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)