cold when stepping out of showers

When I take a shower at my appartment, stepping out leaves me cold to the point of almost shivering. This is not the case, however, at some of the locations I've previously showered. It's been suggested that the reason for this is that the locations that I have showered at didn't have cement directly underneath them and that since those were I have felt cold, afterwards, do, that that's the reason.

The places where I haven't felt cold have usually been on the second floor or higher, whereas the places where I've taken showers on the first floor (presumably where the concrete would be) have left me cold. The one exception to this is an old house that was built in the

1920's, where first floor showers don't leave me cold.

Anyway, my question is... is the concrete indeed the reason? If not, what else might it be?

Also, say I were looking for a new appartment and was only able to chose from locations on the first floor of the complex. Are there any characteristics that I could ask about that'd mitigate the effect of the concrete (or whatever the cause is)?

Reply to
zeitgistfan

Small electric heater turn on before showering, if you have a fan DONT use it till after your done showering and dressed the stem from the shower will heat the room nicely

Reply to
hallerb

[snip]

You're making this waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. You can get a small, portable, electric space heater at Wal-Mart for twenty or thirty bucks, which will keep you nice and toasty warm.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Maybe because the area outside the shower is cold, especially relative to the interior of the enclosure. Tried a thermometer?

Cold drafts entering the room from outside don't help either, and are much more likely at lower elevations of a building than above.

Thought about an infrared heater?

barry

Another example of "How dumb can some be". Where do you get heat? From a "HEATER"! Your High School Teacher had to be dumber than you.

Reply to
Jack

Why don't you just dry off while you're still in the shower stall?

Reply to
Larry Bud

My guess is your new bathroom is larger than the old one and may have a fan or a better one.

Answer in any case is short term, add an electric heater. Long term add in floor radiant heat.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Think fuzzy floor-mat.

Reply to
HeyBub

I do. Unfortunatly, I get cold even in the shower stall shortly after the hot water's been turned off.

Reply to
yawnmoth

Yes, and at the same time make sure the receptacle is GFCI-protected

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

This is terrible advice. Bathroom fans are to remove moist air from the room. They do NOT remove condensation. You want to get the air out of there ASAP.

But I guess if you're renting, and don't mind paying damages...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Why don't you try turning up the heat?

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I've NEVER had a fan in my shower for 27 years. I have no ill effects from this practice. Fans are for removing stink, nothing else.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I think you'd better read some of the exhaust fan manufacturer's web sites. The fans certainly remove bad smells, as long as you have a gap under your bathroom door for fresh air to come in to replace the foul air. However, the removal of the hot, steamy air from a bathroom is probably just as important a function.

My bathroom is about to get a new exhaust fan with a heat lamp. That'll knock down the chill, as well.

Mike

Reply to
Mike M.

Dude...... There are millions of people in the United States that dont even have heat in their homes because of poverty. Yet you come on here whining about getting cold feet when stepping out of a shower. Apparently your mother never taught you about throw rugs. Go to your local dollar store and buy a friggin rug for one or two bucks and get on with life. Otherwise, you can always rent a room room at an expensive classy motel for $2000 per night and always have toasty warmth against your tootsies by enjoying their throw rugs, and they even supply enough towels to place several on top of their rugs.

Reply to
majorillusion

Dude..... There are billions of people in the world that dont even have computers in their home because of poverty. Yet people whine about their problems every day on newsgroups such as alt.computer?

Or... or.. how about this?

There are millions of people in Africa that dont even have homes because of poverty. Yet people whine about their problems every day on this newsgroup?

Reply to
zelnaga

And while I'm reading the fan site, you can read the hummer site. They'll probably convince you that you need one of those also. You can't believe everything you read you know.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Reply to
ephedralover

Spoken like someone whose mother used to say: "Think of all the starving people in Africa! Eat your beets!"

The relative condition of those with lesser resources is irrelevant. If they insist in living in cold-water flats, that's their choice and has no bearing on whether I wrap myself in a Pierre Cardin bathrobe or at ratty towel.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, ignoring the "it's their choice" part, true enough. But I think the real point was typically when one is cold, they turn up the heat, or if one's feet are cold, they get a fuzzy rug. Not exactly rocket science.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer