Cold weather adaptation around the house

Page 4 of 4
Per Phil Kangas:

Bunch of years ago I saw a documentary on one of the indigenous people of Siberia. Those guys seemed to have written the book on cold-weather survival - as in room-temperature digits below zero F.
One technique I remember was a sort of house-within-a-house where they would put up a tent inside a larger tent and live in that tent. No fire, no fuel, no heat, of course.... Might even have been three tents, one inside the other.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/13/2016 5:22 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

During power cut 2003, I heard of a Mormon family pitching a tent in the living room, and hunkering in the bunker that way. Must have made some sense, then.
Also heard of folks who nail a blanket over a door way and live in one room.
The Siberian thing is, like groovy and far out. I mean, totaly in tents. (homonym: intense. For those who missed the joke. Which is why I am extensively explaining the joke, for those who didn't yet get it.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That is what I have been doing at night.
But now I am thinking "Electric Blanket".... on the assumption that 100-150 watts of electric blanket is cheaper than raising the temp of half the house.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/13/2016 1:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I suspect you are correct, the warm bed is cheaper than the warm house. As for me, another blanket helps, during the winter months.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

When I had been living in Hawaii for about six years, I was waiting to go on duty to my nighttime job as assistant manager in a Waikiki hotel.
Was sitting in a tourist trap called "The International Marketplace", wearing a long-sleeved cardigan sweater and freezing my pasty white butt off.
Some tourist fresh off the plane from someplace like Broken Pelvis, Montana chose to sit down on the same bench.
I guess he felt like he had to say something - and his opening line was "Sure is hot and muggy here...."
In fact, I had never even *heard* of home air conditioning in all the years I lived in Hawaii....
Went back 40-some years later for a month to look up old acquaintances and see how their lives came out.
Sure enough, in the B&B I stayed in I had the AC running virtually all the time I was in the place.
So I guess our bodies adapt...
--
Pete Cresswell

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 10:26:51 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It was 6 degrees last night, which is unusually low for our area. I covered the greenhouse with a tarp on Saturday afternoon to keep the heat in and it was 57 in there when we woke up this morning. Maybe you could rig a sort of tarp tent over your trailer.
Paul

down to -29C
On 2/14/2016 8:50 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

I'm sure I would if I had the tarps, and it would not look too strange.
Sunday AM, the radio said -11 F, with wind chills of -30 below. Wow, that was miserable. I ought have stayed home, like half my congregation.
--
.
Christopher A. Young