Cold weather adaptation around the house

Page 1 of 4
Western NYS, USA is three degrees below zero (Farenheit) today.
Wonder what all I can do about the cold? Obvious answer is to stay home and turn the heat up. I've got a towel acting as a door snake, help keep the cold from coming in under the door.
Only trace of snow, no snow moval today. I guess I'll hope the utilities stay on.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 9:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Our house can get rather cold in the winter even with various sources of heat that we have, so this year I tried one of those radiator oil heaters on wheels, and it worked great! We liked it so much I bought another one for the back part of the house.
--
Maggie

If it gets any colder, we may close the windows. ;-)

awe ... I have spring fever, I think.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Why don't you have an energy audit done? Then you'll know why and what to do about it.
Tony Hwang wrote:

He already knows why - it's a mobile home with 2" thick walls and no insulation . Has aluminum windows that are single glazed and have no thermal break and also let air infiltrate . Also has a poorly fitting doors if he has to use a towel as a door snake .
--
Snag

On 2/13/2016 1:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I thought Muggles was female? Oh, maybe I'm mistaken. Sorry, Mr. Muggles.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I'm female. lol
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

I was talking about YOU and YOUR POS living quarters Stormy .
--
Snag

On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I hope you enjoy the eight by ten photos I sent last week, in the mail? I circled the major POS features which make me so proud.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The blow-through "Redneck Bungalow"
On 2/13/2016 5:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This time of year, I have the hair style of Donald Trump, and the warmth of Hillary! the wicked witch of the East.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 1:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

Whew. At least I remembered one gender correctly.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 12:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Right now we know the house needs more and better insulation, but have to make due with what we can actually afford. We'd have to do some major insulating and wall repairing to add more insulation, and can't afford it right now.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 1:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

I know the concept. Money for insullation? No gots -- all the money is going to utilities. You need money to save money.
I hope that works out for you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 2:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So far we're warm. Hope you get warm, too.
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 4:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm back from the store. Buy some no cook foods. Turn up the thermostat when I got home, and now it's warm. Thanks for the good wishes.
Last time it was this cold, I had frost on the wall in my bedroom. Since that time, I've stapled on a couple layers of corrugated cardboard. And it's a bit warmer in there. Crude, but works.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 3:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Once upon a time we lived in a rental house that had no insulation at all. It got so cold that the toilet bowl froze. We'd have to heat water on the stove and pout it into the bowl to get it to flush before we could use it.
The only heat we had was a kerosene heater that we had to move from room to room. When we'd go to bed at night we had to tuck the baby into a dresser drawer with blankets to keep her warm enough even though the k. heater was in the bedroom with us.
STAY WARM!
--
Maggie

On 2/13/2016 4:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is some kind of serious cold. Did the little baby grow up to be an eskimo? I figure to be on the computer for another hour or so. And then go to bed and pile on the blankets. This low temp routine does not appeal to me, at all.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/13/2016 6:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The first born survived just fine. That was one of the worst winters. There was an ice storm and it shut down that city. People were getting around by ice skating where they needed to go.
--
Maggie