Cold stair lift motor

Page 2 of 2  

Subject:     Re: Cold stair lift motor Date:     Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:40:11 -0500 From:     Stormin Mormon Newsgroups:     alt.home.repair
On 2/18/2016 11:45 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote: > I'm looking at adding a resistor or bulb inside an Acorn stair lift motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with. > > Cheat this out and see what you think. I have done this when setting up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice. > > Sketch >
http://i67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.gif
>
http://oi67.tinypic.com/t9jmac.jpg
>
Is the motor under the stair? How is the power supplied to the motor? Makes me wonder if you can use the existing wiring some how.
Are you able to contact the manufacturer? Maybe they have a low ambient temperature kit. Why reinvent the heater wheel?
. Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
On 2/20/2016 11:55 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Thanks. You can call me Chris, everyone does.
. Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus . www.lds.org . .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Its highly possible the batteries are going bad.
cold temeratures lessen battery power
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob haller wrote:

If the motor is DC motor driven by a battery, I'd use battery blanket(warmer)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Batteries here are new. This happens every winter.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 10:47:13 AM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKin ney wrote:

housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with somethin g on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a se parate part and cord to deal with.

electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Is this in a lower area available to the disabled who enter the structure? Isn't the upper elevation warmer? Can't it be stored at a warmer lever and "called" to the lower level?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 10:47:13 AM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Is this in a lower area available to the disabled who enter the structure? Isn't the upper elevation warmer? Can't it be stored at a warmer lever and "called" to the lower level?
Stairway is in an enclosed space with little insulation from the outside air. Temp at top probably warmer, but still not much warmer than outside air. Only switch for this model is on the arm of the chair.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 10:24:56 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKin ney wrote:
inney wrote:

or housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheate d area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with someth ing on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

p electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box wit h a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be anoth er choice.

? Isn't the upper elevation warmer? Can't it be stored at a warmer lever an d "called" to the lower level?

air. Temp at top probably warmer, but still not much warmer than outside ai r. Only switch for this model is on the arm of the chair.
add insulation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 10:24:27 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

inney wrote:
cKinney wrote:

otor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unhea ted area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considere d an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with some thing on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box w ith a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be ano ther choice.

re? Isn't the upper elevation warmer? Can't it be stored at a warmer lever and "called" to the lower level?

e air. Temp at top probably warmer, but still not much warmer than outside air. Only switch for this model is on the arm of the chair.

I'm no HVAC expert, so I'd like to know how insulation would help in this s ituation.
The device is stored in an enclosed unheated space. What purpose would insulation serve?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:11:34 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Good question. If the lift were used every 15 or 45 minutes, the insulation might keep it warm in between those times, but it's probably used 2 or 4 times a day, and not every day, so it's going to get cold no matter how much insulation there is.
Sort of like insulating the hot water pipes to the far end of the house. The water still gets cold in an hour or two.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 9:24:56 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinn ey wrote:
inney wrote:

or housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheate d area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with someth ing on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

p electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box wit h a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be anoth er choice.

? Isn't the upper elevation warmer? Can't it be stored at a warmer lever an d "called" to the lower level?

air. Temp at top probably warmer, but still not much warmer than outside ai r. Only switch for this model is on the arm of the chair.
I can't tell from the video...if the motor is a gear-head, could you use a low-temp grease in the gearbox?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:45:24 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

you should ask in sci.electronics.repair and maybe sci.electronics.misc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

motor housing to keep the temperature about 40degF. The unit is in an unheated area and temps get too low for the motor to turn normally. I considered an electric blanket or pad but having an elderly person messing with something on the stairs is not a good idea. Also, there's the issue of having a separate part and cord to deal with.

up electronic devices in remote locations, installed in an insulated box with a car battery & resistor. In this case a night light bulb might be another choice.

Thanks, I did post at the repair group and got a few good replies there. Not like here though. This group is the best starting point for just about anything including computer issues. There are dozen or so regulars who have done just about everything around the house, always helping the beginner folks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.