Cold Enough For You?

60 deg F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England sunbathe.
50 deg F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. People in New England plant gardens.
40 deg F: Italian & English cars won't start. People in New England drive with the windows down.
32 deg F: Distilled water freezes. The water at Moosehead Lake in Maine starts getting cooler.
20 deg F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in New England throw on a flannel shirt, buttons open.
15 deg F: New York City landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0 deg F: All the people in Miami die . New Englanders close the windows.
10 below zero: Californians escape en masse to Mexico. Girl Scouts in New England sell cookies door to door.
25 below zero: Las Vegas disintegrates. People in New England rummage around the attic to find some winter coats.
40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.
100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Some New Englanders are frustrated when they can't start their "kahs".
460 below zero (absolute zero on the Kelvin Scale): All atomic motion stops. People in New England start saying . . "Cold 'nuff for ya?"
500 deg below zero: Hell freezes over. Red Sox win World Series. ________________
So true.....
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

buttons
indoors.
Zero degrees and below for ten or more years. New Englanders move to warmer climes.
Signed,
New England born and raised, currently somewhat retired Southern California desert resident, walking five miles a day with my German Shepherd in a T-shirt (I'm the one in the T-Shirt) and hiking the desert mountains in a sweater and light jacket. Don't have to snowshoe to exercise. Don't have to get up two hours early to shovel my vehicle out to get to work. Been hoping against hope that all those New England liberals stay where they are. Fat chance.

500 + deg below zero: All Canadians look up from their beer and say, its just gettin nice outside, the world is filled with whimps.
Mike
Mike wrote:

As I went out one evening into a small cafe, a 40 year old waitress to me these words did say I see that you are a logger and not just a common bum, for nobody but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb My lover was a logger, there's none like him today, if you poured whiskey on it he would eat a bale of hay ... He kissed me when he left me so hard that he broke my jaw, I could not speak to tell him forgot his mackinaw The weather tried to freeze him, it tried its level best, at 100 degrees below zero he buttoned up his vest It froze clear down to China, it froze to the stars above, at 1000 degrees below it froze my logger love And I lost my logger and to this cafe I've come, and here I'll stay 'til someone stirs his coffee with his thumb.
<Note the temperature below absolute zero.>
FK

hats.
it
start
Some people around here think -45oC antifreeze will freeze if its -35oC with a wind chill of -50oC.
Fiats , one of the worst cars made, thats why we in the US junked em years ago. Just like the Yugo. I havnt seen a fiat on the road for years. So yours starts a couple degrees below freezing, well thats just amazing try your feeaat 4 degrees colder haaa haaa . American , runs when you need it, and here we go to 30 Below.
m Ransley wrote:

Hi, What is cold? -33C with windchill of -41C today. Business as usual. All 4 cars in my family started on first crank this morning. No big deal. Tony
m Ransley wrote:

Same car. The old Fiat tooling was shipped to Yugoslovia.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

An aside about lemon cars.
This was more than 20 years ago and VolkWagen was getting out of their only business, their Beetle, to move into new models. My late brother bought their interim model (before the Golf or Jetta came out). Man was it weird.
1. The engine was rear mounted aircooled. So no waste heat from the radiator coolant to feed the car heater. For heat there was a dingy little catalytic heater under the front hood that burnt gasoline. Not exactly the safest thingy nor did it ever output enough heat. Must have been sized for European winters. Of course with our below 20 deg C type Canadian winters common the insides of the windows frosted up bad and needed frequent stops by the roadside to scrape the frost.
He had parked it once at the airport over several very cold days. The engine was too frozen to start. Took a little charcoal hibachi to heat the engine's sump. Worked.
2. The windshield washer fluid did not have a pump and ran off the air from the spare tire. The consequence was frequent stops to pressurize the spare tire when driving on slushy days. When there is infrequent use on warmer days the spare tire pressure is allowed to decrease until it no longer pressurises the washer. Doesn't quite describe the frustration when one gets a flat on a good day. Now picture when its that cold the road tires sometimes go soft, the tire seal parts from the rim and you've got a flat. In those days it was not uncommon to have cars parked in the driveway to have all four tires flat after a cold night. Hooboy.
3. There were more unbelieveable stories about that car that I cannot recall at this moment but this one will always stick in my memory. During a very cold spell I had to borrow his car as mine was in the shop. His battery was on its last legs so I bought a new one and installed it under the passenger seat where it was factory located. Things were hunky dory until I took on a passenger. The moment he sat down there were loud cracks of a battery arching. He shot out of the seat. The noise disappeared. Sat down again and there were sparks and smoke galore. Pulled the seat forward to look at the battery. What happened was that when he sat down the seat springs shorted the battery terminals. It had not happened before because the old installation had battery terminal covers that I left off because it wouldn't fit the new terminals!

Reminded me of my two favorite jokes about the Yugo:
Q. Why do Yugos come with back window defrosters? A. To keep your hands warm while you're pushing it home.
Q. How do you double the value of a Yugo? A: Fill the gas tank.
AJS

Fiat? Fix It Again, Tony. I had an 850 Spider. Read a classified ad that read "World's Worst Car -- will pay $100 for you to haul it away." When it ran (rarely), it was great. Lovely little road-hugging sportscar. San Francisco dealership advertised that theiir mechanics had factory training in maintenance and repair, and "have very small hands." It had the mechanical personality of a spoiled poodle.
I used to have a VW bus with a gas heater. The heater's outlet was right behind the spare tire; I believe the idea was to heat up the spare and then dismount it and carry it on your lap. Also, when you turned off the ignition, the indicator light for the rear window defroster went off, but the defroster stayed on until your battery drained. I found this out in Cambridge, Mass, on a 4 degree day with a stiff wind.
Do believe it was my '66 bug that had the windshield washer pressurized by the spare tire. Been 30 years and I still miss it. Miss my Karmen Ghia convertable, too.
same subject.....
60 F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England sunbathe.
50 F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. People in New England plant gardens.
40 F: Italian & English cars won't start. People in New England drive with the windows down.
32 F: Distilled water freezes. Maine's Moose head Lake's water gets thicker.
20 F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.
15 F: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0 F: All the people in Miami die. New Englanders close the windows.
-10 F: Californians fly away to Mexico. The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.
-20 F: Hollywood disintegrates. People in New England get out their winter coats.
-50 F: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.
-100 F: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. New Englanders get frustrated because they can't start their "kahs."
-460 F: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale). People in New England start saying, "cold 'nuff for ya?"
-500 F: Hell freezes over. The Red Sox win the World Series.
--

"m Ransley" < snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3135.bay.webtv.net...
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:03:47 -0800, "ynotssor" <"ynotssor"> wrote:

That's interesting. Thought I was the original. I travel light, everything in one carry-on bag. Clothed in aT-shirt, shorts and a pair of sandals. Darn comfortable and a real advantage when making washroom pit stops. Gets me in and out through airport checks in a jiffy. For an extra change of clothes its so much more easier to buy, on arrival, T-Shirts with far more interesting prints of the local scene. The same goes for clean briefs and wife- beaters. This sure beats doing laundry on the move. If unplanned meetings calls for a neat dress shirt just buy another one.
You know it cold out when you pee outside and it freezes before it hits the ground and pops. You know its cold when you throw a cup of warm water in the air and it evaporates before it hits the ground in a hissing noise.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in 3131.bay.webtv.net:

All right, let's get them all out of the way:
It was so cold I saw a chicken with a capon...
It was so cold I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant...