COLD AIR RETURN

i recently had the wall taken down between two small bedrooms. the wall was outfitted with cold air returns in both rooms.
do i have to have a cold air return in this new bedroom? we have all the heat vents closed in there, we like our room cool.
What goes in must come out, somewhere. For whatever occupants might be there in the future. Or, you can do a cobble-job, for which it seems you want an "ok".
Sorry. Sub-optimum.
In order to half-ass keep the balance of air flows, you should keep ONE cold air return. Else you could find the room getting pretty cold, colder than you like or want. Even with supply vents closed, the cold air return is pulling air in thru openings, under doors, etc., and that's probably why you get the temp you want with the supplies closed off. It's also part of the system balance; no air vent at all means other rooms are going to be sucked harder, to make up for hte missing return which could well, in turn , change the balance of heat overall in the house.
pop

"we have all the heat vents closed in there, we like our room cool. "
Then I hope you aren't counting on central air come summer. Cause without the return air ducts, the efficiency of that and the ability to cool the new room will be impacted.
I hope you like it hot in the summer to, without those returns, even reducing them it wont be the same again.
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:32:46 GMT, "readandpostrosie"

Shouldnt be a problem at all. Fewer returns mean less air returning to the furnace heat exchanger. That in time will cause defective high limits, noise and turbulence (causing distruction of your blower, burnt up blower motors and cracked heat exchangers. Air conditioning will suffer and you will find noise/turbulence, freezing coils and bad compressors. All in all, Id do it. Your HVAC replacement salesman will love you for it. Bubba