Coiling wire?

I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it, and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.
Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for dummies, on coiling wire.

More specifics needed. feet on spool now, roll size/feet needed, etc.
-zero

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive into town and <buy> a roll, probably for less than what the shipping/box/gas to get to post office will cost?
aem sends, curiously....

I'm shipping it all over the country. I had gotten a heck of a deal on some 12-2 UF underground, 5 bucks per thousand feet! Anyways, it's going for around 30 cents a foot on eBay. I've sold some in 50 & 100 lengths. USPS gives you free boxes for priority, and if you ship flat rate priority @ $8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It's still a deal over what you can buy wire for over the counter.
I'm going to try what Edwin suggest.
What's your ebay user name?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I would be spamming this NG, and I wouldn't feel right about it, sorry.
I've gotten a gotten some good advice, and will give it a whirl!
Randy O. wrote:

Of course you could -try- just handing them the wire and have them pack it. It works for normal items but a loose batch of wire?? I can just see the look on the clerk's face.
Harry K
Well, you already asked about winding.
Spam is unsolicited ad. I just asked, which makes it.... solicitied.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

If you go to eBay, look at the completed auctions, & a couple which are running this wire. Ok, I decided to auction it in 50' & 75', instead of 50' & 100'. Anyways, that will tell you who I am!
wrote

You'll make enough money to do it right and afford this; http://www.blasterstool.com/browseproducts/SMALL-LEAD-WIRE-REEL.html
Or butcher your own with a plastic hose reel and some 6" bolts.
-zero
zero wrote:

do you realize anyone who followed that blasting link is now marked as a terrorist, feds will be watching us closely, watch what you put out for garbage:)

Wind it on to a core like a 2 liter soda bottle. Don't twist it, just wrap it on as it comes off the larger spool.
Randy O. wrote:

I've found that when trying to wind "stiff" wire like that by hand into say a one to two foot diameter coil I do a couple of turns clockwise and then flip the coil around so the next two turns wind counterclockwise, then flip it again, etc.
Works for me...Try it...
Ideally, you should get one of those rigs which lets you wind the wire without twisting it, bind it up and then collapse the "spool" to remove the finished coil. One like this:
http://www.series4.co.uk/prodeqpt/section16/ds58.htm
HTH,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Lay it out in the sun. Coil it while it's laying in a straight line on the ground. Just a guess.
Randy O. wrote:

If you look on Ebay for "wire coiler" you'll find a couple for ~$200.
If you use Google for the same phrase, you'll find dozens (I didn't see any prices) but, by studying the technique, I bet you could whip up your own out of parts in your garage.