Coffeemaker just steams- the fix

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 02:16:49 -0800, Jon Danniken

I tried this tonite and while it did taste a little smoother, I probably won't do it again. But it was interesting because it taught me that should my coffee maker go kaput, I can still enjoy my coffee doing it this way and not go into coffee withdrawals. Thanks for this info.
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:33:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Exactly, that is why we bought a Technivorm Moccasmaster. Takes 6 Minutes. It is one of only a few units approved by SCAE http://www.technivorm.com /
We also grind coffee fresh and buy good coffee to start with. www.armeno.com and www.smithfarms.com
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 04:33:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Well, espresso brews fast. Talking about "best" coffee is like talking about "best" beer. After going through many coffee brewing permutations, I've come to only 4 personal conclusions. Drip is best. Fresh brewed is best, whatever the coffee. Heating after brewing is bad. And I prefer paper filtering. So sometimes I brew one big cup. Usually I don't. I do 8-12 cups, drink one "best" cup, then drink the rest either lukewarm, cold, or nuked. I'm an "all day" drinker. Hasn't killed me yet. In the big drip coffeemakers I've used, haven't noticed a quality difference in the brew, whether I brewed a single big cup or a full carafe. I tried a couple little 2-4 cup drip makers, and they didn't make coffee I liked. Probably the basket size/water flow isn't right. So what you say is all true.

One permutation you didn't mention was filter style. Some say (and I agree) that cone filters are better than decanter (flat bottom) filters. With the grounds concentrated at the bottom of the cone, more flavor is extracted.
Then there's paper vs. metal, white vs. natural, bleached white vs. natural white, etc.
Here's a pretty good write-up on filter choices:
http://www.melitta.com/faq_brewing,174.html
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 06:08:24 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Yeah, I've tried all I've heard of. Used cone and decanter, bleached, unbleached. They all made good coffee - to me. A lot is just psychology. If you think natural is better than a white, it will be if you know about it. The fact will be in your head when you take the first sip. Only thing I'm sure about is a paper filter absorbs something that I don't care for in my coffee. Because my dad uses a gold filter and I've tried them myself, and there's a bitterness or acidity in the brewed coffee that I don't care for. Personal taste. Coke, no Pepsi. Vernors Ginger Ale, not Canada Dry. etc.

I'm not sure if you read the section on paper vs. permanent filters at that site, but everything you say about paper being the better filter is true.
Finer grounds can be used, therefore more flavor. Bitter sediments are filtered out. Cholesterol raising oils are filtered out.
Not to mention how much of a PITA it is to clean the metal filters. We rented a house in the Outer Banks this summer. The coffee maker had a metal filter and the house was on septic. How the heck do you clean the metal filter without letting some grounds go down the drain?
When we went to the store I picked up paper filters to use for the week.
On 11-08-2012 09:34, Vic Smith wrote:

When I was in San Diego, I brought into the office a can of coffee I had bought in Mexico. Coworkers kept telling me how bad it tasted.
I found an empty Folgers can, dumped it all into that and a miracle happened. It became great coffee.
--
Wes Groleau

“There are more people worthy of blame
On 11-07-2012 08:05, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On impulse, I paid $35 for an "as-is" Roomba¹ at Goodwill. Turns out all it needed was a $55 battery.
Used it twice. Very entertaining, but if I'm going to waste time watching it, I might as well push my upright that does a better job. Plus, it had a peculiar talent for getting into places it couldn't get out of.
The silver lining is that only two weeks later I met a woman whose medical condition had made her too weak to use her upright.
¹robot vacuum cleaner originally about $300
--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!